cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - Single Inquiry Experiences?

tag
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

American Express - Single Inquiry Experiences?

Good Afternoon,

I am seriously considering applying for both an American Express® Gold Card and Blue Cash EverydaySM and I am wondering what everyone's experiences have been when applying for two products on the same day?

(1) In what circumstances will American Express allow you to apply for multiple products and use a single EX inquiry for consideration for both products?

(2) Do both Applications have to be for products in the same class such as "charge" or "credit" or can you apply for one of each and have them use that same pull?

I would appreciate any Feedback from those who have applied for multiple products.. what have your experiences been with how many inquries were pulled from the CRA's??

I have scores of 770 (TU) and 775 (EQ), only baddie is a 30 day late from about 2.5 years ago, and AAOA is 7 years.

Thanks for any feedback!

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express - Single Inquiry Experiences?

Just got done chatting with an online rep with AmEx who said it would be another full inquiry. Now whether is shows up that way on your EX, if it's the same day, I can't say for sure.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've done exactly what you're thinking of doing and it resulted in only one hard pull on EX.  I think you'll find the general consesus is that multiple apps in the same day result in only one pull.

Message 3 of 14
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. That was my impression and I havent yet seen anyone mention on the forums that they did multiple apps in the same day and experienced multiple inquries.  I will probably app for the Gold first as I have recieved several preapprovals for it in the mail and then I will follow up with the Blue Cash or Blue Cash Preferred (still deciding if the preffered is worh it after the AF).

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not saying you haven't already, but do your homework between the gold and the PR gold.  If you travel often, it will pay back the $50 pretty quickly.

Message 5 of 14
dharalex
Established Contributor

Can you share the outcome of your 2 apps?

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think others are correct when they say only 1 inq. is done with multiple apps in one day, however, be sure they are both done online.  I did two apps in one day and one was on the computer and the other was done on the phone and it was two pulls for me, so just be sure they're both online and close to the same time as possible. 

As far as being in the same category (charge vs. revolving)  I don't believe that matters since they pull the same report for both.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 14
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

No problem dharalex, I probably should have updated this thread.  I waited exactly six months since my last hard inquiry which was in 3/11 (TU) and during that time reported my utilisation at 1% leaving about a $50 balance on one of my cards.  I had three specific cards that I wanted to add to my credit profile; Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Blue Cash Preferred from American Express and Discover More.  I applied for the PR Gold first and was instantly approved and about ten minutes later I submitted my Blue Cash Preferred application - Initially I got a 14 day message but upon checking the status (that very second), it was also immediately approved.

Later that morning I applied for a Discover More, I went to the Discover Pre-Approval site as I had recieved about 8 previous pre-approval offers in the mail, one with a better APR offer, luckly I was able to find that offer via the PreApproval site and Applied - Again Instantly Approved for a CL of $5000.

So the all important information you want to know, single inquiry or not??

I verified a few days later via the EX backdoor that there was indeed a single inquiry on EX.  Previously I had 2 and now I have 3.  My guess is that card issuers have some sort of contract with the CRA's that allow them to store your credit report in their database for a specific timeframe, when you apply I assume their webapp queries their database to check if theres a current report in their systems and if there is they use that to decide any application within that timeframe, if not they send a query to EX's API to pull a new report.  So thats my experience, good luck and as always YMMV.

Luckly for me my credit really didnt need rebuilding any, I made a few tweaks as I explained that may have helped contribute to the outcome.

Message 8 of 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I recently applied for AMEX Zync and AMEX Clear, did both on line, about 75 minutes apart.  Applied for Zync first, was instantly approved.  When I applied for Clear, got a message that my ap was received and that decision was pending.  I asked here (at the forum) about an AMEX status update site, and was given the appropriate site, plugged in the data, and found that I'd been approved for Clear as well!  Received an email about an hour after applying for Zync, received an email the following day after applying for Clear.   Checked to see what was pulled, there was only one EX pull.  Approved with EX score of 717, less that 10% UTI (at that time).  Just waiting for both cards to come in the mail!

Message 9 of 14
dharalex
Established Contributor

What type of card is clear? Credit or charge?

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.