cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Understanding with late payment?

tag
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

American Express Understanding with late payment?

Just wondering if Amex will close my account for being a little less than 30 days late?  i had unforeseen family medical expenses and I have a paymnet coming up that I can make half of before the due date then the rest before the next statement cut. I probably won't even get to a full 30 days past due, maybe 20.  but in your experience or opinion will they close this account? i plan on calling them this week to explain the situation and request to be late by a few weeks. I have a charge card and I have already been through an FR that resulted in a reduced credit limit being added.  

thanks

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Understanding with late payment?

Do you have Pay Over Time feature for your account?

Message 2 of 32
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

i don't unfortunately

Message 3 of 32
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I am not sure if it kicks in right away or from the next statement period. Maybe you can try signing up for it????

Message 4 of 32
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

tried. uneligible. 

Message 5 of 32
maksimfa
Contributor

Have you tried calling them? I am sure they may help you if you are up front about it.

second idea, the money you are short, maybe try floating it with manufactured spending.

Message 6 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@maksimfa wrote:

Have you tried calling them? I am sure they may help you if you are up front about it.

second idea, the money you are short, maybe try floating it with manufactured spending.

Certainly call. 

Not sure what you mean on the second, but probably not a good idea!

a) There is delay in a lot of MS methods, having to wait for the statement to cut before rewards appear etc

b) There is risk of AA from credit card companies (and if OP's Amex is somewhat at risk, don't want to involve other cards)

c) There is a risk of the third party issuers (of the MS vehicles) freezing accounts.   If you are already short of funds, you don't want to have to argue with these people to release thousands of $s that they hold for weeks.

Message 7 of 32
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@maksimfa wrote:

This is a nice idea, I would totally take a chance. It will at least give you a month long buffer.

Buy a VR (Vanilla Reload) card from your AMEX or any other credit card, take the cash out (You'll have to pay fee) and use that to make a payment.

Message 8 of 32
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

that would totally get you fr'd or closed with amex.  they despise that. 

Message 9 of 32
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Ortz33__ wrote:

Just wondering if Amex will close my account for being a little less than 30 days late?  i had unforeseen family medical expenses and I have a paymnet coming up that I can make half of before the due date then the rest before the next statement cut. I probably won't even get to a full 30 days past due, maybe 20.  but in your experience or opinion will they close this account? i plan on calling them this week to explain the situation and request to be late by a few weeks. I have a charge card and I have already been through an FR that resulted in a reduced credit limit being added.  

thanks

this is a charge card we are talking about?

depending what your scores are and your amex relationship and your other credit portfolio amex most likely won't blink about being less than a month late... the system has a grace period that I don't suggest using but usually allows for the late payments but not late past next statement.

I would however suggest you probably not use the card during the period that you have not paid the full payment from last month to try to bring less attention to yourself.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.