cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express account ownership change????

tag
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

American Express account ownership change????

Has anyone had success or inquired with Amex about an account ownership change?

I did read somewhere that they would do it if the original account owner passed away. This article was dated a little while back (couple years). 

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with it.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: American Express account ownership change????

IIRC, it will likely result in a HP, but the history may not be backdated. From what I read not long ago, it would reflect like a new account, but perhaps someone who's gone through the change of ownership recently can chime in.
Message 2 of 9
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
IIRC, it will likely result in a HP, but the history may not be backdated. From what I read not long ago, it would reflect like a new account, but perhaps someone who's gone through the change of ownership recently can chime in.

Thank you for that Finstar.

I should have posted what my intent was sorry about that, I'm a little scatter brain today. I have been an AU and accunt manager on mom's Former AMEX PRG for 5 years. I would like to have the card switched to my ownership instead of closed, as mom is not using it (never has actualy) and is failing in health. I'm preapproved for it but do not want to open a new account, nor do I want to use/lose all the MR's I have there right now. 

I'm hoping to get a soft pull, have them change me to account owner and remove mom. While leaving my issue date (5 years) , card number, and MR alone. I'm fine with them not giving me her backdate of 33 years. 

I just dont REALLY want to call them (this soon) and talk about it, to have them close the account and take my points. Due to mom's failing health.

Reasoning why I was trying to get idea's of what might occur. If it will indeed be a hard pull I'll just leave it alone period, use all my points and apply for the new Amex Gold Card and get the SUB ro through referral. I just don't want to wake them to soon and get robbed.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 3 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I can tell you it’s going to be a hardpull.
You might luck out with a SP if your a current Amex membership but even then I doubt it.

Since authorized users are not liable for the account, they would have to process a credit report check and then UW would have to review everything and make the determination based on those reviews.

I’m not sure if this is even possible but I would definitely expect a hard inquiry

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 9
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

I do have my own Amex Delta Platuinum with 25K limit for 4 years. 

Bummer Thanks Shadow !!!

Smiley Sad

ugggg

Message 5 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

You can call Amex and ask.

Just simply state that you wanted to take over and be the primary on the account. Mention that it’s your mothers account and you are listed as an AU.
If they ask the reason, just tell them she never uses the card but you do.

With the way Amex reports AU accounts though with no backdating. I would guess if you actually managed to do what you wanted it would show up as a new account on your credit report.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 9
601flyguy
Established Contributor

If Shadowfactor is right about backdating, I think you will be better off apping for your own gold card. Should be a sp. You may be able to transfer the points from her membership rewards account to yours??
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 7 of 9
SBR249
Established Contributor

I don't think AmEx allows transferring MR points to another account at all. TPG mentions there being a black market for people selling MR which AmEx has been trying to crack down on. The only workaround is to transfer the MR points to another person's airline mileage account but then you've basically redeemed the MR points and lose the flexibility they offer. 

As for dating the TL, if AmEx can be persuaded to switch ownership, the OP's TL might be dated to the date that they became an AU on the account instead of starting anew. But that's conjecture. There's no conclusive DPs that AmEx would allow this sort of ownership transfer. 

Message 8 of 9
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

I'll give them a call on Monday and generally ask about it. I just want to avoid a hard pull and new account. I know what the CSR may say and what will actually happen is up in the air also. I'd just like to keep my original AU open date on the card. If I am going to get a HP an new account ( which I will hate). I may as well apply with a referral link and get the SUB. Then use all my AU card MR points as soon as able. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.