cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express and Chase have Memory never forget.

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

American Express and Chase have Memory never forget.

Hi hder is the Story, over 20 years ago went bad with Amex and Chase also Discover for large amount. Twenty years later my Fico score are around 800. Discover and Citi bank have given me another chance, Discover cl is 25.5k and Citi bank is 11.6k. When I go to Amex and Chase web site to see if I am pre approve for creditcards it looks like system dosen't do any thing. Once you go bad with Chase or Amex you never be able to get another creditcard or another chance. It looks like Discover dosen't care or even know past thay just give another go at it. It looks like Amex and Chase don

't care if you got it together and don't want business. What do you guys think is ther way to get back with Amex and Chase.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express and Chase have Memory never forget.

That's not entirely true. A lot of people have gotten back in with both.

Lack of preapproval in itself is not a sign of being blacklisted.

For Amex, if blacklisted, there may not even be HP involved.
For Chase, there will be a HP if blacklisted, followed by " unsatisfactory previous relationship " letter.

The only way to find out is to apply.
Message 2 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

Preapprovals are nice, but not the final test whether one can get a card.

That is what applications are for.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 25
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forums!  Did you ever repay AMEX or Chase?  Those two banks make it tough for you to get back in if you've never repaid the debt.

Message 4 of 25
firefox100
Valued Contributor

question if you apply to Amex or Chase and will thay do hard pull or do thay check to see if you pass in house review before thay go to reporting agenices?

@firefox100 wrote:

Hi hder is the Story, over 20 years ago went bad with Amex and Chase also Discover for large amount. Twenty years later my Fico score are around 800. Discover and Citi bank have given me another chance, Discover cl is 25.5k and Citi bank is 11.6k. When I go to Amex and Chase web site to see if I am pre approve for creditcards it looks like system dosen't do any thing. Once you go bad with Chase or Amex you never be able to get another creditcard or another chance. It looks like Discover dosen't care or even know past thay just give another go at it. It looks like Amex and Chase don

't care if you got it together and don't want business. What do you guys think is ther way to get back with Amex and Chase.

h

Message 5 of 25
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

OP, Pre-quals has 0.00% accuracy rate in finding out blacklisting esp with Amex and Chase!

I highly recommend you go ahead and apply with Amex as there’s no risk or downside to it other than the fact that you might find out that you’re still blacklisted with them. They’ll run your info first on their internal list (BL) and won’t do a HP if you’re on it and just outright deny your app.
There’s a recent poster here who’s on a similar situation as you are and just got approved and taken back in by Amex for a huge SL!!
With Chase, it’ll be a HP when you app no matter the outcome so your choice. But if it was me I’ll do both!! So cheap a price to find out if I’m blacklisted.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JR_TX wrote:
OP, Pre-quals has 0.00% accuracy rate in finding out blacklisting esp with Amex and Chase!

I highly recommend you go ahead and apply with Amex as there’s no risk or downside to it other than the fact that you might find out that you’re still blacklisted with them. They’ll run your info first on their internal list (BL) and won’t do a HP if you’re on it and just outright deny your app.
There’s a recent poster here who’s on a similar situation as you are and just got approved and taken back in by Amex for a huge SL!!
With Chase, it’ll be a HP when you app no matter the outcome so your choice. But if it was me I’ll do both!! So cheap a price to find out if I’m blacklisted.

This. Unless you burned them for a lot of money, 20 years is probably a sufficient amount of time for them to forgive. Given your current scores, you’ve made an awesome recovery and I bet they’ll let you back in. It may not be a huge SL to start with, but build some history and they’ll loosen the purse strings soon enough. Maybe start with a cobranded card if any of them would be useful to you. 

Now, go apply!

Message 7 of 25
firefox100
Valued Contributor

No never repaid Amex, it was 16k. That is why it is bad thing when banks buy each other out. What would happen if for example Chase buys out another creditcard company wher you have an account and have good record will bank like chase close out your account.

Message 8 of 25
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Which Amex card would you go for?

Message 9 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@firefox100 wrote:

No never repaid Amex, it was 16k. That is why it is bad thing when banks buy each other out. What would happen if for example Chase buys out another creditcard company wher you have an account and have good record will bank like chase close out your account.

Best guess until someone else chimes in on an experience like the above is they probably wouldn't touch your current accounts but bet that any future considerations like CLIs and applications would be under closer scrutiny.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.