cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express.....does it show as "maxed out" each month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express.....does it show as "maxed out" each month?

Quick question....I use my American Express Rewards card "no credit limit" for most our of monthly expenses so that we can track what we spend and so we can just submit one payment a month.  we have t pay it off every month based on the T&C's

Does this type of usage show up at "maxed out" each month although we pay it every month?  If we have a balance due of $2500 a month, does the credit limit show as $2500?

If so would we be better to use a BOA Visa with a $13,000 limit for the monthly expenses so it will show a lower utilization?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express.....does it show as "maxed out" each month?

As far as I know "charge cards" like you have are not figured into your utilization.  They should be categorized a "other" accounts and so they shouldn't count toward your total Util.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just pulled a 3 Bureau through AMEX  and Experian and Equifax both show it as a credit card..TU does not see it.

Bummer....guess I need to use something else
Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

pk8183 wrote:
Quick question....I use my American Express Rewards card "no credit limit" for most our of monthly expenses so that we can track what we spend and so we can just submit one payment a month.  we have t pay it off every month based on the T&C's

Does this type of usage show up at "maxed out" each month although we pay it every month?  If we have a balance due of $2500 a month, does the credit limit show as $2500?

If so would we be better to use a BOA Visa with a $13,000 limit for the monthly expenses so it will show a lower utilization?

Thanks!

I have the same charge card and had problems. Two things you should know so your card doesn't report as maxed-out. First check all three of your reports and make sure the card type reports as other open account or open account rather than a revolving card. The former will ensure the card is not factored in your revolving utilization%. EQ and TU accurately report this but EX does not. I have disputed this to no avail, so I am going to sue them for tanking my FICO score.

If any of the CRAs are inaccurately reporting your account, do the following. Dispute like heck and in the meantime takes these steps. Pay the whole balance before the statement date. Amex reports statement balances to the CRAs.

Charge on this card up until 5 days before the statement date, then stop. This is to ensure all charges are posted, then I PIF the balance about 2-3 before statement date.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions...I will go ahead and try and get the account type changed as well as paying the bill prior to the statement cut date...if that does not work I will just use the high limit BOA account or just go back to the debit card Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.