Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express increase of initial credit limit

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

American Express increase of initial credit limit

Has anyone had any luck getting American Express to increase the inital credit limit given? I referred my mom for the Blue Cash Everyday for the bonus and she was approved. It's been about two weeks and she just told me today she only got a $2,000 limit. I got a $10,000 limit without any card reporting other than Amazon store and Macys. My credit is good but hers is excellent. She's had credit for about 30 years. The only "debt" that she has is one or two auto loans. Her and my dad own two successful businesses so her income is very good.

I'm just really surprised that her limit is so low, especially when limits she has on other cards are a lot higher than my $10,000. So anyway, is there a certain number to ring about this? Or would it just be best to use the one on the back of the card? Any input is much appreciated.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: American Express increase of initial credit limit

A request for a CLI is available on the 61st day after the date of approval.

Your mom should see the link appear then.  I've never head of AmEx raising the CL on activation.

Message 2 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

My advice would be to just use the card well for 60 days and then ask for a 3X CLI at day 60. Assuming that everything is still ok I would assume that she'll get it no problem.

I'm guessing that AMEX didn't give her a big limit initially just to be conservative. I'm sure they will bump her up over time with good history.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 23
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I always thought it was six months of history. Sixty days is good though. She claims it doesn't bother her but I'll talk her into doing it then. Thank you for the advice.

Message 4 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I always thought it was six months of history. Sixty days is good though. She claims it doesn't bother her but I'll talk her into doing it then. Thank you for the advice.

60 days, then you can request it again 6 months later.

Message 5 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
My advice would be to just use the card well for 60 days and then ask for a 3X CLI at day 60. Assuming that everything is still ok I would assume that she'll get it no problem.

I'm guessing that AMEX didn't give her a big limit initially just to be conservative. I'm sure they will bump her up over time with good history.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 23
drkaje
Senior Contributor

After 61 days of good use and no other blemishes, they'll talk.

Upon activation? No way, LOL! I and many others have tried. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 23
castlefox
Regular Contributor

Im looking on the American express website can I cant seem to find where you are supposed to request a CLI on it.  Could someone help me find that?

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 8 of 23
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

I didn't know about the AMEX 61 days CLI. When I was approved in November, I only got approved for $3,000.00. I was kind of bummed. I read this thread today and thought...wth...why not call. I called in on the automated line, asked for 3X like you guys said and now I'm at a $9,000 credit line. You guys are awesome! I love you guys! Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@soliloquy wrote:

I didn't know about the AMEX 61 days CLI. When I was approved in November, I only got approved for $3,000.00. I was kind of bummed. I read this thread today and thought...wth...why not call. I called in on the automated line, asked for 3X like you guys said and now I'm at a $9,000 credit line. You guys are awesome! I love you guys! Smiley LOL

Very awesome congrats!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.