cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express is becoming the new Capital One!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

American Express is becoming the new Capital One!

and no this is not because we were just FR'd but as I have read others posting Amex just isn't what it use to be... Those who have Discover it know, you push 0 and it says you are being connected to our ... AZ Call center or... and you are in... That's what Amex use to do... Yesterday I called twice, once I waited 19 minutes and once about 12 minutes, both times I received no message of what call center I was being connected with and that's probably because it wasn't the US and last night on my second call to ask to have partial credit line from costco to blue I was with "Account Services Department" vs. "Customer Service" (not sure how, why or what they are) but she said "Oh, I don't think that is possible but let me check with my customer service" I caught her say customer service but at this point I didn't know I was in a different department or anything and she comes back and says I asked a supervisor and they said that is not possible and I have been here for 5 years and it's NEVER been possible"

I said, "I'm sorry but that is false!"

and she snapped back, "What would make you say that? Have you worked here before and known it being done?

I said, "Cardmembers use to be able to do it right online under account management on their own!"

She said, ":I don't know anything about that and I just asked and it's not something that is possible!"

I said, "That's not true and I talked to someone less than 2 months ago and they said the request can be done at anytime"

that's what she made a customer service comment and I asked her about where she was... in the end she snapped if I wanted to talk to customer service about why it's not done she could transfer me.

30 seconds later a person gets on the phone in customer service and says I understand you would like to move credit line?

me - Yes.

CS - "Okay, let me pull up that application request and we can get that submitted in just a couple minutes"

in my head - WHO THE beep was that last lady and what was her purpose of employment because now im worked up beyond irritated that she went above and beyond to make that statement that really gets me going "Well I have been employed for x years and it's always been this way or has never been an option" I can't even describe what that statement makes me feel inside!!!!

under a minute later it was submitted... doesn't seem to be instant anymore, so I don't know if that means it won't go through or if it really does have to go to department to be done manually but either way it can be requested and I think others have posted they were told the same thing but then couple days later done with no issue.

Either way to sum it up, Im waiting like 10+ minutes when I call... The ratio is about 75/25% at this point that I DO NOT connect to US call centers anymore and I'm getting ruder and ruder and less informed CSA each time.

I can't replace 6% Grocery, but I certainly can charge Costco on Macy's Amex so what's up with Amex, have they given up fighting Chase ink for business and Discover, Chase Freedom, and the growing Credit unions for every day cards and EXCELLENT Customer Service (chase not included!)

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Re: American Express is becoming the new Capital One!

@Creditaddict wrote:

and no this is not because we were just FR'd but as I have read others posting Amex just isn't what it use to be... Those who have Discover it know, you push 0 and it says you are being connected to our ... AZ Call center or... and you are in... That's what Amex use to do... Yesterday I called twice, once I waited 19 minutes and once about 12 minutes, both times I received no message of what call center I was being connected with and that's probably because it wasn't the US and last night on my second call to ask to have partial credit line from costco to blue I was with "Account Services Department" vs. "Customer Service" (not sure how, why or what they are) but she said "Oh, I don't think that is possible but let me check with my customer service" I caught her say customer service but at this point I didn't know I was in a different department or anything and she comes back and says I asked a supervisor and they said that is not possible and I have been here for 5 years and it's NEVER been possible"

I said, "I'm sorry but that is false!"

and she snapped back, "What would make you say that? Have you worked here before and known it being done?

I said, "Cardmembers use to be able to do it right online under account management on their own!"

She said, ":I don't know anything about that and I just asked and it's not something that is possible!"

I said, "That's not true and I talked to someone less than 2 months ago and they said the request can be done at anytime"

that's what she made a customer service comment and I asked her about where she was... in the end she snapped if I wanted to talk to customer service about why it's not done she could transfer me.

30 seconds later a person gets on the phone in customer service and says I understand you would like to move credit line?

me - Yes.

CS - "Okay, let me pull up that application request and we can get that submitted in just a couple minutes"

in my head - WHO THE beep was that last lady and what was her purpose of employment because now im worked up beyond irritated that she went above and beyond to make that statement that really gets me going "Well I have been employed for x years and it's always been this way or has never been an option" I can't even describe what that statement makes me feel inside!!!!

under a minute later it was submitted... doesn't seem to be instant anymore, so I don't know if that means it won't go through or if it really does have to go to department to be done manually but either way it can be requested and I think others have posted they were told the same thing but then couple days later done with no issue.

Either way to sum it up, Im waiting like 10+ minutes when I call... The ratio is about 75/25% at this point that I DO NOT connect to US call centers anymore and I'm getting ruder and ruder and less informed CSA each time.

I can't replace 6% Grocery, but I certainly can charge Costco on Macy's Amex so what's up with Amex, have they given up fighting Chase ink for business and Discover, Chase Freedom, and the growing Credit unions for every day cards and EXCELLENT Customer Service (chase not included!)

Oh wow...I would've been irritated too probably. I hate when CSR's do that. As much as I love amex, I'm starting to become a little more disappointed little by little....Hopefully amex can step their game up...

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 2 of 41
drkaje
Senior Contributor

They've been pretty good but I really don't require much of them.

They weren't able to get my ACM Delta to report on Eq, though. They tried very hard.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 41
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Agree with you 110%.  Really wish you had a way of getting that first rep "positionally reviewed". I'm not an Amex cardholder yet, but I have spoken with their so called Customer Service a few times when I apped. Very cold,  unforgiving and scripted. This is the last card I need to complete my collection and I keep asking myself why. I too am a Discover IT cardholder and echo the same sentiments. Absolutely top notch. I've actually never had any issues with any of my issuers but Discover and USAA stand out for me. Because of this I use them the most. Customer Service is all about presentation. Amex is surely lacking bigtime. I guess they figure people still flock to them so they can act however they want. Terrible business model. I hope they come to realize these shortcomings and improve.

Message 4 of 41
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@HeilFico wrote:

Agree with you 110%.  Really wish you had a way of getting that first rep "positionally reviewed". I'm not an Amex cardholder yet, but I have spoken with their so called Customer Service a few times when I apped. Very cold,  unforgiving and scripted. This is the last card I need to complete my collection and I keep asking myself why. I too am a Discover IT cardholder and echo the same sentiments. Absolutely top notch. I've actually never had any issues with any of my issuers but Discover and USAA stand out for me. Because of this I use them the most. Customer Service is all about presentation. Amex is surely lacking bigtime. I guess they figure people still flock to them so they can act however they want. Terrible business model. I hope they come to realize these shortcomings and improve.

The Discover system echo's Amex' system up till I would say 2009!

I could be connected to Phoenix, AZ in under 15 seconds with Amex after I entered my account number if calling from my cell which was linked and after saying my name being into conversation seconds later with no further verification needed.

Did Discover lease out Amex' offices when they moved out of the states! LOL

Message 5 of 41
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Ok, so you called Amex on the day before memorial day weekend, when a lot of employees are probably taking a vacation day. And you either bypassed the Customer Service desk intentionally by calling a backdoor number, or more likely your call was automaticaly bumped to another tier/group due to the reduced number of Customer Service agents all being busy with other callers. It happens.

The person you talked with had never heard of what you were requesting (and its a pretty uncommon request, most people wouldn't even think of asking to moving a credit limit between cards, myfico readers being a big exception) but, they took you at your word that you might know more that they knew from working at American Express for 5 years, and they asked a supervisor. When the supervisor also said that this wasn't something they could do, you basically called them liars. Sorry, but it sounds like that is basically what you did, you used different words, but thats what you did. They said something, you replied with 'thats false'. They said something else, you replied wth 'thats not true'.

Its clear to me that they were trying to provide good service. When a 5 year employee takes a customers word over their 5 years experience and goes to ask a supervisor, thats going the extra mile. But, when both employees don't know how to do what you're requesting, its time to cut your losses and call back later. Any arguing after that, its just pointless. And now based on one problem, which you should now realize was due mainly to the fact you were talking to the wrong part of American Express, it sounds like you're considering using a different credit card.

Look, I understand. You got frustrated and wanted to vent. Perfectly understandable. But take a deep breath, realize what happened wasn't a personal attack aimed at you, and consider that temporary staffing issues happen every holiday and every time a cold or flu passes through the call center of any company. And congratulations, since once you were transferred to the proper group, Amex was able to assist you almost immediately from what you said. Hopefully you feel good about that.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, next tuesday is also a bad day to call a call center. The day after memorial day a lot of people take that off as well. I know I am...

PS: I work at a University Technology call center. I'm not at all affiliated with Amex. I do use their card for Groceries Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 41
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Ok, so you called Amex on the day before memorial day weekend, when a lot of employees are probably taking a vacation day. And you either bypassed the Customer Service desk intentionally by calling a backdoor number, or more likely your call was automaticaly bumped to another tier/group due to the reduced number of Customer Service agents all being busy with other callers. It happens.

The person you talked with had never heard of what you were requesting (and its a pretty uncommon request, most people wouldn't even think of asking to moving a credit limit between cards, myfico readers being a big exception) but, they took you at your word that you might know more that they knew from working at American Express for 5 years, and they asked a supervisor. When the supervisor also said that this wasn't something they could do, you basically called them liars. Sorry, but it sounds like that is basically what you did, you used different words, but thats what you did. They said something, you replied with 'thats false'. They said something else, you replied wth 'thats not true'.

Its clear to me that they were trying to provide good service. When a 5 year employee takes a customers word over their 5 years experience and goes to ask a supervisor, thats going the extra mile. But, when both employees don't know how to do what you're requesting, its time to cut your losses and call back later. Any arguing after that, its just pointless. And now based on one problem, which you should now realize was due mainly to the fact you were talking to the wrong part of American Express, it sounds like you're considering using a different credit card.

Look, I understand. You got frustrated and wanted to vent. Perfectly understandable. But take a deep breath, realize what happened wasn't a personal attack aimed at you, and consider that temporary staffing issues happen every holiday and every time a cold or flu passes through the call center of any company. And congratulations, since once you were transferred to the proper group, Amex was able to assist you almost immediately from what you said. Hopefully you feel good about that.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, next tuesday is also a bad day to call a call center. The day after memorial day a lot of people take that off as well. I know I am...

PS: I work at a University Technology call center. I'm not at all affiliated with Amex. I do use their card for Groceries Smiley Wink

Well I apologize if my story line went in the order that you portrayed back in your story line but the employee was NOT offering good customer service and trying to find the information from someone else after I called them a liar, she started from the beginning saying that it wasn't possible but wanted to double check at which point she gave the statement when coming back that as long as she was employed it was never possible.

Also the biggest pokint from the beginning is that I'm not talking to anyone in AZ anymore!

Even if this was some overflow that was given calls to reduce my 12 minute hold from being longer I certainly had no issue being transferred from her to regular customer service in seconds and not sure if that changed country, floor, building, what and I don't know who she originally asked, if on her floor, building, etc. but the rep she transferred me to already knew what I was asking and that it was possible and how to do it before the transfer was complete.... so additionally my point is employees making such bold snotty remarks like i work here, you don't and I KNOW... she certainly didn't come back while transferring call to say "sorry mr. --- it appears I was wrong and I should not have given such attitude towards you, this is Mr. --- and he will be happy to put in the request in just a couple minutes for you!

I spent more time argueing with her and waiting for her to give me false information than the person to do the entire request.

I think you missed my point of the whole thing and I'm sorry if I made it seem so nasty on my side that you couldn't see the point but my point always with customer service in stores, restaurance, over the phone, etc. is 90% of the time the issue itself could be resolved SO quickly if the person only knew, and I know most of the time I can't blame that soley on an employee, they work for a large company and only get the training they get and are able to keep their job not caring about learning more, or doing anything different so it continues and grows bigger.... i know it's not her fault... but I'm also thinking about ALL the people that call in and get told no or something false and hang up and that's it.... how do you think we have such confustion on credit reports, scores, products to begin with... CSR are trained to point at credit act, the government, laws, etc. etc. and 98% of the time those fingers are pointing completely in false directions.

In this case if your department isn't the department that could even handle this if you knew about it, why would you make the statement that it can't be done.... ITS NOT YOUR DEPARTMENT!

and if I'm not in the department that I would normally go to and be with the department that would normally be able to answer my account questions why wouldn't they tell me at the beginning of the call that they are a reduced wait, limited type department and depending on needs, I can be transferred... don't tell me it's because of a holiday and im some A... for being mad I waited and ended up talking to someone that didn't know soemthing and was grouchy because of not getting out of work yet for the holiday... it was probably 5AM where she was!  (Not to be further rude, but do they even celebrate the holiday coming up??!)

Message 7 of 41
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

And now the crickets are chirping.

Ah well, happy memorial day weekend everyone!

The extended forcast for my area (not making this up) a week of rain with thunderstorms every day, followed by a week of rain every day.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 41
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Ws going to say the same thing, hang up and call back.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 41
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

CreditAddict

You clearly expected the AMEX customer service of last century.    Sorry to say you are 13 years too late!  

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.