cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express is becoming the new Capital One!

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: American Express is becoming the new Capital One!

I do feel that Amex has been shifting their strategies over the years to target the average consumer rather than to cater to the upper echelon who are willing to pay more to receive better customer service. In the past most of their cards, if not all, charged annual fees which would cover the expenses for exceptional customer service. Now that the share of fee-free cards is a lot more significant, their customer service is also diluted, resulting in less than stellar service for the majority of consumers. If you own one of their most expensive products like the Platinum, I believe you'll get to talk to a more dedicated and knowledgeable group of CS representatives who match the well-known quality of the whole department from a decade ago. 

Message 11 of 41
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Now I just need a good co-branded Amex replacement!
Message 12 of 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Usaa Amex, or fidelity amex
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 41
HiLine
Blogger

Funny that one day an FIA-issued card would be recommend over an Amex-issued card purely due to customer service. 

Message 14 of 41
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

How did this thread elicit negative comments? Creditaddict was more than justified in having negative thoughts regarding that call. Remember we are the ones keeping these companies around. As an agent of "Customer Service" that rep could have handled the situation differently. In addition, it has been noted multiple times on these boards that Amex has been slacking.  I'm not elitist nor do I feel entitled. I have however worked telephone based Customer Service in the past. Presentation goes a long way. 

Message 15 of 41
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@HeilFico wrote:

How did this thread elicit negative comments? Creditaddict was more than justified in having negative thoughts regarding that call. Remember we are the ones keeping these companies around. As an agent of "Customer Service" that rep could have handled the situation differently. In addition, it has been noted multiple times on these boards that Amex has been slacking.  I'm not elitist nor do I feel entitled. I have however worked telephone based Customer Service in the past. Presentation goes a long way. 

If you call someone a liar in person, what sort of a response would you get?

Why would you expect any differently from a customer service rep on the phone as CA wrote that he did?  Those are "fighting words" in virtually any medium, even on this forum.

Presentation, and respect, is a two way street, and unfortunately sometimes consumers forget this.  I don't mean to call anyone out, but based on what was posted here, I'm throughly unsurprised that the conversation went as it did, and the CSR, while I admit could've handled it better, wasn't completely out of line with their response.  Likewise the customer in this case could've handled it better as well.  It's hard for me to ascribe all the fault in this situation in Amex's lap looking at it one step removed with my own past experiences having worked multiple customer customer service gigs in both small and astonishly large companies.

        
Message 16 of 41
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

While I can be quite confrontational with credit reps and sometimes mean I have been working on that and yes I guess in a way I called her a liar I said "false" and it was... I don't like the route of thank you and hang up to do over hoping to get intelligence on next call unless completely necessary and this wasn't one of them.
I do agree more with this post though!
I don't know without seeing a screen shot but it seems its a matter of knowing or bothering to look in the right menus and if she has been there 5 years than that is showing how little she cares about her job and how little ongoing training is happening to make sure she knows how to deliver what customers needs are. I'm human like they are and I don't think I'm above them or something but as other posted I have worked in customer service inbound calls and guess what my only job is to take the call and help, if I can't do that or the customer doesn't come back I'm not needed!
Message 17 of 41
JonStur
Established Contributor

Sorry I must disagree with you. That customer service person was a liar. They lied when they told their customer that they couldn't do something when in fact they could. They also displayed an inherent level of incompetence. Just because they were unfamiliar with something, it wasn't their job to just assume it couldn't be done. Their job is to transfer you to someone who is more knowledgeable. I know cs people are just human with emotions also, but they understand that with this job there will be the occasional irate customer. If they aren't equipped to handle them, then they need more training, or a different job.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 18 of 41
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Funny that one day an FIA-issued card would be recommend over an Amex-issued card purely due to customer service. 

FIA must heavily pre screen people before hiring them because I have only come in contact with one cold representative. Everyone else was so sweet with kindness and cheerfulness I got a cavity.

I was under the impression the card had to be six months old to be able to do a credit limit transfer? Anyway, as others have said, being somewhat rude to customer service isn't good. Perhaps she and her supervisor really didn't think it was possible because it wasn't their department. There's no reason to be rude with her. Yes, some representatives do make you want to lose it, but I have never been rude to one.

Message 19 of 41
HiLine
Blogger

@JonStur wrote:

Sorry I must disagree with you. That customer service person was a liar. They lied when they told their customer that they couldn't do something when in fact they could. They also displayed an inherent level of incompetence. Just because they were unfamiliar with something, it wasn't their job to just assume it couldn't be done. Their job is to transfer you to someone who is more knowledgeable. I know cs people are just human with emotions also, but they understand that with this job there will be the occasional irate customer. If they aren't equipped to handle them, then they need more training, or a different job.

Sorry I must disagree with you. Your use of the word "liar" is wrong. If I ask you something and you give me a misinformed answer, I will not call you a liar. 

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.