Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express payments

tag
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

American Express payments

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change in the posting of payments initiated on American Express' website or in their app.

I am aware that Amex has begun reflecting the payment in the account balance right away, rather than about 24 hours later, but what I have also noticed is that the payment has been hitting my checking account (in this case, Citi) the very same day.

For example, I logged into my account within the app at 6 this morning and initiated a payment of $1100 to my gold card. The payment has already hit my checking account at Citi this evening.

I assume that the change is at Amex' end, given that they're now updating balances immediately, but wanted to confirm that others are seeing payments hitting their bank accounts so quickly. With ACH transactions now occurring same-day, I would have expected this eventually, but I would also anticipate some Amex cardholders having returned payments if they were accustomed to just having to have the money in their checking accounts by the next business day...

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express payments

They were always quick for me, mere hours for the most part. 

Message 2 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I have noticed the payment posting to Amex as soon as I pay, But as far as hitting the bank,

US Bank usually run everything the next morning. I will have to take a closer look.

Message 3 of 24
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

I've used checking accounts at a few different banks (Cap One, US Bank, Citi), and the payment always posted to the checking account on the next business day.

Now it seems to be coming in on the same day - the payment I made in the Amex app at 6 this morning hit Citi at 4:47 this afternoon.

Message 4 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

8/3 Delta Plat - 1 days to post at bank

8/6 Delta Gold - 3 days to post at bank

8/12 Gold - same day to post at bank

All are from the same checking account. All payments clear the next day after posting

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I have noticed the payment posting to Amex as soon as I pay, But as far as hitting the bank,

US Bank usually run everything the next morning. I will have to take a closer look.

I agree.  I made my monthly Amex payment this morning around 8 AM and it will be out of my US Bank checking sometime tomorrow morning.  It always seems to be the next day.

Message 6 of 24
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Often an ACH transfer from my Chase account within 5 hours. That's if it's done first thing in am. I've had that happen for a couple years.

Message 7 of 24
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If my payment is made to AMEX early in the day, it will update my account online and show pending by the evening that same day with Wells Fargo.

The only thing faster is when I pay own WF accounts.  AMEX is on it!  

Message 8 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I agree.  I made my monthly Amex payment this morning around 8 AM and it will be out of my US Bank checking sometime tomorrow morning.  It always seems to be the next day.

I pay at 1 pm, Amex hacking Chase by 3 pm.

If I pay after 7 pm, they take it at midnight. 

Message 9 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@blindambition wrote:

Often an ACH transfer from my Chase account within 5 hours. That's if it's done first thing in am. I've had that happen for a couple years.

Same

I actually got a good chuckle when something was going on with Chase servers couple of months ago, I couldn't log in for a few hours, and when I did, everything looked messed up, except somehow Amex managed to sneak in and take my money

Technically their money, but whatever

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.