cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express really came through for me tonight.

tag
polaris2011
Contributor

Re: American Express really came through for me tonight.

So glad you're safe and being supported.

Be well.

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome, and very glad you are safe.   never know when disaster can strike. 

Message 22 of 30
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.
I truly appreciate it.

The power was out today, but spent most of the day trying to get my stuff out of that apartment and deal with the car.
My company is picking up the tab though for the little bit of stuff that was damaged by the flooding.

The first picture is from today when I went back there. The entry way into the apartment, also doubles as a dining room.

The second picture is from last night. My apartment is a ground floor unit on Dover Beach. I was standing on an upstairs patio trying to locate a hotel. You can see the entire drive way is flooded. The water was around 3-4 feet deep and had the patio and my car tires completely underwater.

https://ibb.co/m7nqrp
https://ibb.co/kuUOcU

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is truly great customer service, they really went above and beyond with this one. I wouldn't be surprised if they used this story for a commercial lmao. 

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice!! thats awesome! makes me want to get an AMEX lol

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you are ok! Stories like this make me glad I carry and American Express card. 

Message 26 of 30
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I’m currently in Barbados for work.
The island is currently being hammered by Tropical storm Kirk.

This evening around 6 pm. The island started to get torrential downpours and it quickly flooded my apartment with over 3 feet of water in under 30 minutes. When I opened the door even more flowed in.

I go outside and the water is knee high on the streets. I can’t even get into my car because the water has risen above the bottoms of the doors.
I immediately start calling hotels around the area and everyone is booked already that’s within walking distance.

I’m down here all alone for work so I don’t really know many people to call. I called Amex to see if they could locate and secure a hotel room for me within walking distance. I explained to them that, I was all alone in a foreign country and the place I was staying was completely flooded and I couldn’t access my car either.

10 minutes later. I get a call back from Amex card services management team. They located a hotel for me and secured it.
I asked them what card it was put on since I never got an alert. The guy told me not to worry about it and to make sure I got to safety as quickly as possible. I’m not sure what he meant by that.

After I got checked into the hotel. A different representative from Member services called and asked me if I was safe and needed anything at all. Cash, passport replaced etc. If I needed anything to please call back and they would do their best to assist me.

I was told that they would be waiving all cash advance fees on my card for the next 7 days.

If it wasn’t for Amex this evening getting me a room at a hotel that I had previously called and was told was sold out. I really don’t know where I would be right now.
The roads are so flooded that there would have been no way for me to drive even if I could have gotten my car started.

Luckily I’m safe now, but this is a mess.

Amex really went above and beyond this evening. I have to say. I will be making some phone calls to the EO office to try to get those guys some kind of bonus

Wow Thats very Caring of AMEX Much Love for them going to the stars and Beyond to make sure you were Safe! I pray that you are Safe

Message 27 of 30
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Shadowfactor glad to hear that you are safe and thank you for sharing this.  Truly amazing service and I assume they've retained a customer for life?

Message 28 of 30
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Amex was already my favorite lender, but this sealed the deal. I already planned on being a life long Amex customer.

Now if only their cards were as widely accepted overseas.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's great that you're safe and awesome to hear how AmEx came through for you, especially in the situation you were in. Make me want to grow my AmEx card CL more.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.