Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express v. Discover

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: American Express v. Discover

I meant that if you are looking for reportable CL's then go with a revolver. It's been mentioned that charge cards are easier to get then once you have your foot in the door, try a revolver. If you don't want or need a charge card and aren't interested in adding more TLs ( you mentioned your AAOA a couple of times) app for what you want now. IMO, your profile is strong enough for a revolver.
Message 11 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Thanks 09Lexie!

Message 12 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

Also, depending on the state of your CR and if you can "unearth" the Green's promo with 25K sign up bonus and first year fee waived, you can app for both a charge and revolver.

For instance, let's say you decide you like the Membership Rewards program to use with their Frequent Flyer partners.  Apply for the Green charge (for the bonus) and Blue Revolver.  Before the fee is due on the Green in year two, request if they'll product change it to a Senior Green for $35.  This way, you can sort of get the best of both worlds. A 25K gift to start and ongoing Amex membership rewards card for $35 per year, instead of the regular $95.

PS - Or, go with the PRG for 50K and request a PC to the Sr Green in year two for $35.

Message 13 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Thanks, I will take a look at Amex products.  Very interesting strategy.  If I were not pre-mortgage I would apply for two but I think I should not go past 4 major CC. (Well if you count the Dillards AMEX).  I will be sure to let you know my questions.  I am interested in travel. I do a little of everything lol

Message 14 of 33
GuyInFlorida
Valued Member

I'd app for a Discover IT card-- 

They offer a nice cashback program, and generous credit lines. Seems to be what the OP is looking for. 

Message 15 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

Just curious, but why did you app for the Dillard's Amex?

Message 16 of 33
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 17 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

GuyinFlorida-- What promo is for Discover IT at this time? I thought I read Amex is generous as well especially with their 3xCLI. Thanks for the info by the way. It's nerve wracking because I have to pick one card and get it right.

Open123 and 09Lexie--because I was 19 at the time and I wanted a bunch of clothes from Dillard's while shopping with my mom and the lady at the register suggested I apply for a card and I guess my credit was good enough for the Amex version.

Message 18 of 33
jadankert94

I have both and personally I prefer my AMEX.  Their website is much better, as is their customer service.  Their card rewards program is also nice.  Overall I feel like a more valued customer with AMEX.

Personal Profile:
AMEX Zync
BOA Power Rewards Visa Sig
Capital One Cash Rewards
Associated Bank AB College Card
Discover More Card
Message 19 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Thanks I will have to research the pros and cons of each.  It helps a lot to get everyone's opinion firsthand.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.