Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express v. Discover

tag
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Re: American Express v. Discover

After a little research on my own, Discover IT seems a little tempting as well.  I like the No Foreign transaction fees, and seemingly low APR! Plus intro 0% APR

Does anyone have the Delta Gold by American Express? I don't like the high APRs because it is unlikely I will qualify for the lowest (which is 15.24% I believe).  This matters because I will more than likely make a plane ticket purchase then wait for the bonus miles to apply before I pay off the balance. Which may take more than a month, incurring interest! If I do a PC after a year to BCE, is Amex good about lowering APR? I'd hate to be stuck with a high one.

P.S. How do the miles work? (This will be my first travel card if I'm approved).  If I apply for the Delta card and buy a delta ticket immediately after, can I use the bonus miles to this transaction even though I have to wait 2 to 4 weeks for the miles to post to my card after the ticket is bought?

It's hard to narrow it down to one card!

Message 21 of 33
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@jadankert94 wrote:

I have both and personally I prefer my AMEX.  Their website is much better, as is their customer service.  Their card rewards program is also nice.  Overall I feel like a more valued customer with AMEX.

Completely disagree. Amex is not bad but I hate having to repeat myself constantly to someone who can't understand the american accent. I love it when I call Discover and get someone in Phoenix. I had a double charge once and discover cleared it up immedately, no investigation or 7-10 days. It was pretty nice. TBF I haven't had a bad experience with AMEX either, besides the communication barrier. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 22 of 33
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
*1 to Open

I would add if you don't want the charge, app for the revolver.

Do you mean if I don't want a charge card? I would much rather a CL

If you manage the charge card well, you can have pay over time option with it, which has 35k CL.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 23 of 33
pt310
Frequent Contributor

I just saw today on creditcards (dot) com, Amex BCP with 0% for 15 months, $ 250 sign up bonus for $1000 in first 3 months.

Message 24 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Thank you both for the additional information.

pt310 that is a tempting offer!

Message 25 of 33
enharu
Super Contributor

In my opinion both are good cards offered by good companies. Get both! Smiley Happy
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 26 of 33
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

The creditcards.com amex deals give you 0% APR for 15 months, and a 12.99% Regular APR, in addition to the larger signup bonus (assuming you get the card).

I went for the Blue Cash Everyday 2 months ago, as you can see in my signature. Its a nice card to have. And its not as if you cant apply for more cards in the future...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 27 of 33
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
In my opinion both are good cards offered by good companies. Get both! Smiley Happy

Oh yeah!

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 28 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone, Delta Gold has caught my eye because I am toying with the idea of making a few trips early August.

I will probably eventually PC to BCE in a year.  I already have 3 cards (two if you don't count Dillards Amex as a real card) and don't want to overextend my credit before applying for my first mortgage after graduation. I would love to have both sigh, but trying to restrain myself. 

Message 29 of 33
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Which still brings me to the question, has anyone had or heard of success of getting Amex to lower APR after a year or after a PC?

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.