Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express

I made a payment on my cc for 1200 over what I owed and now my available credit has been extremely lowered with no warning. What can I do this has never happened. And I have had a balance the last 2 months but always made multiple and never late. I’m baffled! Why would they lower my credit limit??
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express

Has there been any significant changes to your credit report score or utilization wise? Any late payments on any accounts? 

I think the best course of action is to simply call them and ask. Amex is pretty forthcoming. 

Good luck! Please keep us posted! 

Message 2 of 14
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Has there been any significant changes to your credit report score or utilization wise? Any late payments on any accounts? 

I think the best course of action is to simply call them and ask. Amex is pretty forthcoming. 

Good luck! Please keep us posted! 

+1 I could call Amex and see what's going on especially if there hasn't been a significant change in your profile and the account has no history or late or returned payments.  Good luck OP. 

Message 3 of 14
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I made a payment on my cc for 1200 over what I owed and now my available credit has been extremely lowered with no warning. What can I do this has never happened. And I have had a balance the last 2 months but always made multiple and never late. I’m baffled! Why would they lower my credit limit??

I suspect the problem was your paying more than you owed.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous when you say $1200 over what you owed, does that mean (in example) you had a $1300 balance and paid $2500, leaving your account with a -$1200 balance?  Or does that mean you had a (in another example) $2500 balance with a $50 minimum payment due and made a payment of $1250, leaving you with a $1250 balance?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree sounds at face value that is odd. The only thing that pops into my head is I was wondering how old is that card and how long is your history with Amex? If you are brand new to them - paying way more than what you owe may have flagged your account and their system lowered your credit limit until Amex resolves this. Some CC are concerned - maybe overly - to possible laundering or are hyper sensitive to anything that could indicate fraud.

But yes 100% you need to call them and find out what is going on and be able to explain how the overpayment occured. And I am puzzled (maybe like Amex) how this thing happened. If I overpaid by that much I certainly would have cancelled the electronic payment or if I was careless and did not pay attention - I would have already called them and asked them how to resolve this. 

Message 6 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous when you say $1200 over what you owed, does that mean (in example) you had a $1300 balance and paid $2500, leaving your account with a -$1200 balance?  Or does that mean you had a (in another example) $2500 balance with a $50 minimum payment due and made a payment of $1250, leaving you with a $1250 balance?

He could possibly be paying ahead for a charge that hasn't posted yet.

Message 7 of 14
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Making an occasional payment in excess of the balance due is not usually a problem. I sometimes do this when I know the AF is coming due so that I continue to have a zero balance reported to the CRAs.

There is no logical reason to make such a large overpayment (assuming there isn't an equally large pending charge to balance it out that hasn't posted yet) as that is seen as possible money laundering behavior. This is most likely the scenario that has AMEX spooked. You need to call up CS and explain the reason for the large payment to see if your CL can be restored.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been know to pay over as well, but only to cover pending charges. But never $100's or over $1K when the balance doesn't warrant it.

I'm surprised it let you pay that much over, Cap1 and Walmart have limits around $10 over the balance. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

please give amex a call and let us know what they said

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.