Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Kennel Club Visa

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: American Kennel Club Visa

I dont know how one affords 20k in vet bills. I dont know what I would do in that situation
Message 31 of 67
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

I have had the card for over a year. It is a good card to have when you have dogs and cats. I got approved for $7500. It is backed by Comenity.

Ron.

Ron, you are amazing!

Message 32 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
I dont know how one affords 20k in vet bills. I dont know what I would do in that situation

(Mod Cut - This is not necessary even in jest).  Soon adds up;

Message 33 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@althes wrote:

So what's the verdict is someone applying.

I think op said next year he will apply. hehehe. Kdm is kinda anti lots of credit cards. Smiley Very Happy

And KDM has (correctly) pointed out a number of times that on smallish spend, the difference between 2% and 3% isn't that great.   For shopping at PetSmart, getting a discounted giftcard is the way to go, but if there are significant vet bills (and they are covered by the AKC card) the spend may become large enough to justify a special card.  (In a bad year, we spend over $20K on vet bills, getting 5% back on the $16K, via two Cash + cards, was nice, but that still left the other 95%!)

Have you considered switching pets? Perhaps an aquarium full of fish...

Or a rock. Everyone loves a pet rock.

Message 34 of 67
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@althes wrote:

I think op said next year he will apply. hehehe. Kdm is kinda anti lots of credit cards. Smiley Very Happy

And KDM has (correctly) pointed out a number of times that on smallish spend, the difference between 2% and 3% isn't that great.   For shopping at PetSmart, getting a discounted giftcard is the way to go, but if there are significant vet bills (and they are covered by the AKC card) the spend may become large enough to justify a special card.  (In a bad year, we spend over $20K on vet bills, getting 5% back on the $16K, via two Cash + cards, was nice, but that still left the other 95%!)

Like Maud Pie! (Sorry, My Little Pony FIM reference, couldn't resist!) 

But wow, $20k in vet bills...and I was complaining about the $200 we just spent for kitty to go in for a yearly check-up and get her shots. Also had to buy her some ear medicine since she appears prone to ear infections. She was a garage/barn cat before we got her so she probably picked up some sort of issue with it as a kitten. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 35 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@althes wrote:

Like Maud Pie! (Sorry, My Little Pony FIM reference, couldn't resist!) 

But wow, $20k in vet bills...and I was complaining about the $200 we just spent for kitty to go in for a yearly check-up and get her shots. Also had to buy her some ear medicine since she appears prone to ear infections. She was a garage/barn cat before we got her so she probably picked up some sort of issue with it as a kitten. 

The $20K was for three pets, and of course it's not all at once.   One gets ill, and you do some tests, which is at first maybe $1K, and then they need some more, and an operation, and then another get sick.    So while you might make the hard decision that the animal should be euthanized because you cannot spend $20K, it rarely presents itself that way, just a set of steps, that only adds up when you look back,

Message 36 of 67
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

In my case my dog is my child. Except he doesn't talk back. All the vet bills have been a drop in the bucket compared to the unconditional loves he's given me. I put his picture on my card as well. AKC is my favorite card for that reason alone.
Message 37 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dog gonnit, I apped for this card and got the "under review" message. Smiley Surprised

Message 38 of 67
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well, at least its not a straight up decline. Maybe they just need to verify something.
Message 39 of 67
redpat
Senior Contributor

DW found target cheaper than most box pet stores for pet food, 6% on her Amex BCP.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 40 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.