Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 2nd Card App

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 2nd Card App

I've read some information on this but nothing really definitive.  I wanted to apply for a 2nd amex card, maybe the cash magnet or blue.  My question is I just got my 2x cli bump last Saturday.  Is there any do's or don't when it comes to applying for the second card?  IE, specific time to wait, is it a SP or HP?    Thanks for any info!

5 REPLIES 5
polaris2011
Contributor

Re: Amex 2nd Card App

While I don't know for sure what's typical, and YMMV always, I received my 61-day cli on 1 of my 2 revolvers and about a couple of weeks later Amex began to pre-approve me for some of their other cards through their account website. I would start there if I were you, checking every few days or so. That said, although I was pre-approved I was not allowed to apply until I hit the 90-day mark (which is today!) and my application was canceled (not denied) instantly but I was told to call back on day 91.

Congrats on your 2x CLI!

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  I'm trying to find the pre-approved offers but can't seem to locate it on their site when I'm logged in.  That's probably because I'm not approved for any yet lol.  Do you happen to have a screenshot of where it would be?

Message 3 of 6
polaris2011
Contributor

"Cards>Personal Cards>Check for Pre-qualified Offers", see below.

You can also select "Apply Now" for the card you're interested in. Two things will happen in my experience: You get a "Yay, you're pre-approved message" or something vague about "expanding your portfolio". Generally, you want to ignore the second message as it's likely you won't be approved, but YMMV, although I'm not certain yet if the first one is a sure thing. I find out tomorrow!!! Smiley Wink 

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 8.56.14 PM.png

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I see that now. And it don't show any offers just apply. But it's only been a week tomorrow after my cli so it may be awhile before they offer me something new lol does the you're pre-qualified message look like the ones before you get an account?
Message 5 of 6
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

I know this is old, but for the sake of assisting someone else... OP, you have to click on the apply button to see if you are pre-approved or if you get some other message! Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.