Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x CLI Denied

tag
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Amex 3x CLI Denied

Approved for BCE on June 26, activated on July 6. Attempted 3x CLI over phone yesterday. Initial CL is $3500, asked for $10,000, DENIED no counteroffer. I ran about $1500 through card, made couple payments in one cycle. Balance was zero when tried for the CLI. Have a NFCU cc at $12.5k and LOC $10k. Overall util under 20%. Experian FICO was 732. Called Amex they stated high internal risk score. Reasons were debt with other creditors, short account history with them. Wondering if I actually waited the correct 61 days. Will wait for letter and post all reasons listed. Bummed right now ...
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI Denied

My first CLI request on my BCE was denied as well.  I waited six months and asked for 3x (from $3500 to $10k actually) and was approved for the entire 10k.  Just wait a few more months I'm sure you'll be fine.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 2 of 15
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Nice to hear that gives me hope Smiley Happy may I ask how you used the card for the six months leading up to your CLI ? What was util on other cards ?
Message 3 of 15
n777ua
Established Contributor

Gas only...its our gas card.  30/40% or so total util across all cards

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 15
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

that sucks but maybe you think your overall utl was too high for them? im waiting for my second statement to end to ask for cli but my utl is 2% overall.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 5 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

In feb, I got Zync and Costco. In April, called for CLI. It went from $2k to $6k. My bal had not been over $400 on either card. My overall util was very low. I don't recall exactly, but well under 10%. One thing I've noticed from all of the posts I've read here is that balances make Amex (and Barclays) nervous. 20% overall util isn't high, but it isn't low, either. (were talking total util, and not util on a single card.) it really kind of depends in your CLs.

I'd try to get your overall util lower and try again in 6mos. 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Sorry to hear Smiley Sad

Well hopefully you just didn't wait the proper time and can still get it!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 15
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

In feb, I got Zync and Costco. In April, called for CLI. It went from $2k to $6k. My bal had not been over $400 on either card. My overall util was very low. I don't recall exactly, but well under 10%. One thing I've noticed from all of the posts I've read here is that balances make Amex (and Barclays) nervous. 20% overall util isn't high, but it isn't low, either. (were talking total util, and not util on a single card.) it really kind of depends in your CLs.

I've read on here that you can try again (if declined) after 90 days, and don't have to wait the full 6 months.  Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 8 of 15
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@Whereis750 wrote:
Approved for BCE on June 26, activated on July 6. Attempted 3x CLI over phone yesterday. Initial CL is $3500, asked for $10,000, DENIED no counteroffer. I ran about $1500 through card, made couple payments in one cycle. Balance was zero when tried for the CLI. Have a NFCU cc at $12.5k and LOC $10k. Overall util under 20%. Experian FICO was 732. Called Amex they stated high internal risk score. Reasons were debt with other creditors, short account history with them. Wondering if I actually waited the correct 61 days. Will wait for letter and post all reasons listed. Bummed right now ...

Not 100% sure why, but I've heard that the AMEX internal scoring system which calculates internal risk score does not like when cardholders do this. Even though it seems odd, this could have factored into the denial.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 9 of 15
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

I've read on here that you can try again (if declined) after 90 days, and don't have to wait the full 6 months.  Can anyone confirm if this is true?

this post refers to 6 mos. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-CLI-Denied/td-p/1392046

What did the recording say? When I cli'd, before I confirmed that I wanted to do it, the recording said something like, " you won't be eligible to request anothe CLI for 6 mos." I remember thinking that if I was denied, I'd have towait that long before I could try again. However, maybe Amex has changed theirpolicies. 

Ipad doesn't  play nice with the forum! Grrr! 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.