Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 5 card limit

tag
whoknows1
Valued Member

AMEX 5 card rule?

Anyone ever get more than 5 lending cards? There's just so much cards I want to get with AMEX... For example the Delta card.

Message 31 of 39
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX 5 card rule?

I've heard this only applies to Amex revolvers.  5 personal, or 3 personal + 2 business, or 4 business + 1 personal are considered the 5 card limit.  Charge cards don't count toward this so you can have 5 revolvers along with as many charge cards as you want.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 32 of 39
wasCB14
Super Contributor

FWIW, I have 6:

4 personal revolvers

1 personal charge

1 business revolver (using my SSN, not a business with a separate tax ID)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

5 revolvers plus as many charge cards as desired is what I’ve always seen as well. I am almost there with four revolvers and a Gold charge.

@wasCB14, you can get business cards without a tax ID or DBA?
Message 34 of 39
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

It's generally known that most people are limited to 5 revolvers (charge cards don't count).

I personally had 6 revolvers at one point but cancelled my SPG or Marriott card and all of them were instantly approved meaning that the system will allow more than 5 for some people or some "profiles" but it's a good idea to keep in mind that if you have 5 and you are eyeing a 6th card that it probably won't be approved and they will call you asking you to cancel one of your 5 cards to get the new one.

Message 35 of 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

No set rule, but typically 5 for most people.  Some people certainly have more than 5 revovlers though with Amex.  Profile specific usually. Know several that have 6.

Message 36 of 39
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@wasCB14, you can get business cards without a tax ID or DBA?

Yes. If applicable you can apply as a sole proprietor and just use your SSN in place of a biz tax ID.

Message 37 of 39
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Glad this got merged as the "limit" has been addressed several times.  My Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card is with SSN as sole proprietor and my name as the business name.

Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife applied for her 6th revolver recently and got denied for the number of open accounts with Amex.  She also has Platinum/Gold/Green combo. 

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.