Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AF Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex AF Advice

Hi all, I have a question for the guru's here.   Is there a way to keep Amex from clawing back the spend bonus?   

I got a Delta Gold card to get my foot in the door with Amex, but i dont really use it or travel on delta.   I hit the spend and got the points, sadly tho i only got a 35k offer. I dont really use it or travel on delta, so i was going to drop it down to the No AF blue version.  I wasn't sure since i'm not cancelling it, would Amex try to claw back the spend bonus?  I'd hate to lose it, but i have no interest in a $95 AF on a travel card i dont use. 

What is your advice/opinon of the situation?  

TIA

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex AF Advice

Wait until it's a year old, then downgrade when the AF hits, or see if they give you a retention offer.  Doing a PC after a year would not cause Amex to claw back a bonus, and it's doubtful they would actually do that with a non-Membership Rewards-earning card.  Better yet, let's figure out a way for you to take a Delta flight to use your upcoming free SPG night. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Wait until it's a year old, then downgrade when the AF hits, or see if they give you a retention offer.  Doing a PC after a year would not cause Amex to claw back a bonus, and it's doubtful they would actually do that with a non-Membership Rewards-earning card.  Better yet, let's figure out a way for you to take a Delta flight to use your upcoming free SPG night. Smiley Wink

Yeah, If they would give me a 35K+ for 1k spend, i'd keep it as a gold.  SPG night?  That would be nice, but unfortunately my anv for SPG isnt till Dec, so i'm not sure if i would get a bonus night till then. 

Message 3 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Assuming the AF is waived the first year, there's really no reason to want to downgrade before the end of the first year. It would be pretty inefficient to downgrade early, then find yourself flying Delta and needing to pay for a checked bag.

Granted, that may not be a concern for you. I sometimes need to book travel on fairly short notice.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Assuming the AF is waived the first year, there's really no reason to want to downgrade before the end of the first year. It would be pretty inefficient to downgrade early, then find yourself flying Delta and needing to pay for a checked bag.

Granted, that may not be a concern for you. I sometimes need to book travel on fairly short notice.

In the last 10 years, i have flown once.  My company paid for that, so i didnt even have to use my card and be reimbursed for it Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

This is a perfect time to start flying, then.  You made it as far as getting a cobranded Delta card that at least offers you some perks, next step is book something!  You still have MRs from your ED and Starpoints from your SPG, too?

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

This is a perfect time to start flying, then.  You made it as far as getting a cobranded Delta card that at least offers you some perks, next step is book something!  You still have MRs from your ED and Starpoints from your SPG, too?

I currently have 36k skymiles, and 13k MR..  i dont have many starpoints unfortunately since i wasnt able to hit the spend bonus when i got the card Smiley Sad    it's a whopping 492 points lol 

Message 7 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As for the SPG night, yes it'll be awarded on your anniversary.  35,000 is enough to book the Delta Hotels (highly suggest staying there, BTW) three blocks from the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Message 8 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'm going to go the Willy Wonka schoolteacher route again. I can't do anything with 492 Starpoints, so let's assume you have 492,000...

Seriously, though, between the MRs and SkyMiles, you should be able to get just about anywhere in North America and perhaps Europe during a sale.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

As for the SPG night, yes it'll be awarded on your anniversary.  35,000 is enough to book the Delta Hotels (highly suggest staying there, BTW) three blocks from the Hockey Hall of Fame.

That would be awesome, but i dont have my passport or global entry yet.  I was thinking maybe a quickie weekend in canton for the Football HOF. less entertaining, but still historic.. i like historic places/sites.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.