Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AF Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex AF Advice

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I'm going to go the Willy Wonka schoolteacher route again. I can't do anything with 492 Starpoints, so let's assume you have 492,000...

Seriously, though, between the MRs and SkyMiles, you should be able to get just about anywhere in North America and perhaps Europe during a sale.

Feels like i set the travel club MGR into a reward using trip frenzy Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 23
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, I have a question for the guru's here.   Is there a way to keep Amex from clawing back the spend bonus?   

I got a Delta Gold card to get my foot in the door with Amex, but i dont really use it or travel on delta.   I hit the spend and got the points, sadly tho i only got a 35k offer. I dont really use it or travel on delta, so i was going to drop it down to the No AF blue version.  I wasn't sure since i'm not cancelling it, would Amex try to claw back the spend bonus?  I'd hate to lose it, but i have no interest in a $95 AF on a travel card i dont use. 

What is your advice/opinon of the situation?  

TIA

I did this about 6 months after opening the Gold.  They PC'd me to the Blue via chat.  It was no problem.

Message 12 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Jago just transfer everything to Chase and see what happensSmiley Wink
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wingennis
I did this about 6 months after opening the Gold.  They PC'd me to the Blue via chat.  It was no problem.

DId you get to keep your spend bonus tho?   

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Jago just transfer everything to Chase and see what happensSmiley Wink

Smiley Frustrated Careful now, i'd hate to lob off an ear while knighting you Never/24 LOL Smiley Wink

king ralph knighted.jpg

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

In the last 10 years, i have flown once.  My company paid for that, so i didnt even have to use my card and be reimbursed for it Smiley Sad

If that's the case, I'm trying to understand why you even chose this card. lol

Considering all the cards Amex has, surely you could have went with BCE, or ED to start.

As others have said, you should wait until the year is up then downgrade to the no AF version to at least retain your miles for later use. You can always cancel that card afterwards. Though in theory the Miles should be safe at Delta even if you cancel the Gold after the year. It's only MR points that you need an open card to bank them, right?

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

wrote:

In the last 10 years, i have flown once.  My company paid for that, so i didnt even have to use my card and be reimbursed for it Smiley Sad

If that's the case, I'm trying to understand why you even chose this card. lol

Considering all the cards Amex has, surely you could have went with BCE, or ED to start.

As others have said, you should wait until the year is up then downgrade to the no AF version to at least retain your miles for later use. You can always cancel that card afterwards. Though in theory the Miles should be safe at Delta even if you cancel the Gold after the year. It's only MR points that you need an open card to bank them, right?

At the time i got it, i was at 635 and it was the only one that i was pre-approved for.  I wanted to get my foot in the door.  hind sight is always 20/20..  but at the same time it lead me to get BCE/ED approvals on the same day.   So it did serve its purpose and i do have some skymiles to play with now. I do have a few places i'd like to go, just havent been yet. 

I'm not sure how long delta would hold them.. but i do know you have to keep an MR card open to not lose all your MR points.  That's why i have ED, its a no AF MR saver.  Had a few good deals that i earned extra MR's on as well. 

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure how long delta would hold them.. but i do know you have to keep an MR card open to not lose all your MR points.  That's 

18 months from date of last activity, either by using said CC or buying miles. As well as redeaming miles for products I believe.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure how long delta would hold them.. but i do know you have to keep an MR card open to not lose all your MR points.  That's 

18 months from date of last activity, either by using said CC or buying miles. As well as redeaming miles for products I believe.

Cool, i'm in no danger then.  I have it setup on a recurring bill, so its always active. 

Message 19 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Delta SkyMiles have no expiration date as of 2011. 

Under the SkyMiles Mileage Expiration policy, miles do not expire.
 Delta reserves the right to deactivate or close an account under the following circumstances:

• Fraudulent activity occurs.
  • A Member requests an account closure.
  • A Member is deceased.
  • A Member does not respond to repeated communication attempts regarding the status of his/her account.
  • A Member resides in or relocates to a country where membership is prohibited under applicable law.
  • A Member violates the terms of this Membership Guide and Program Rules.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.