Did you mean: 

Amex APR increase due to FICO score decrease

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex APR increase due to FICO score decrease

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

How much of a decrease are we talking about? 

I have no idea.

Then the datapoint is incomplete. A 5 point drop won't be looked at the same as a 30 point drop. Clean scorecard, dirty?  What caused the score drop, utilization increase, credit seeking? A utilization increase could have set off alarms and they used fico as the reason when they could have also said you were pyramiding debt.

In my case, my fico has been fluctuating by 5 points every month for a year. Dirty scorecard and both aggregate and individual utilization has risen due to taking a new job with a 30% paycut. My rates haven't risen.

While we all know finances = FICO, the point of finances>FICO is people shouldn't let the score get in the way of handling ones debt. Obviously there's a line that needs to be walked. If the goal during pay down is to leverage bt offers and personal loans, then scores are just as important. But if someone's budget or pay down is being hindered by constantly doing AZEO even though there isn't an immediate benefit, then finances should be more important than FICO.

Message 11 of 25
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I was recently notified that the APR on one of my Amex cards has been increased 2 200 basis points, from 19.49% to 21.49%, based solely upon my FICO score. (distinct from the .25% raise to 19.49% generated by the Fed's credit tightening).  This despite the fact that my payment record with Amex has been pristine, for decades.

To me, this is just one more illustration of the importance of maintaining one's FICO scores at optimal level at all times, not just when making a major credit application.

Many people are fond of saying "Finances > FICO". This is an example of "FICO = Finances"

@SouthJamaica So by that rational, they should lower my APR given my score have improved over 70+ points since I got my AMEX!

CITI, Disco and FNBO has reduced my APR but never AMEX!

Message 12 of 25
7774x
Established Contributor

@babygirl1256 wrote:

Wow . . . glad to know . . . thanks for posting that information. I'll make sure I keep my card utilizations down and my FICO score high. I've been doing well for the last year and keeping FICO above 800 except for EQ . . . but that score should improve once the last adverse $400.00 (paid) CO purges on 12/1/2022!!!

Amex  rate hikes look at utilization,increasing credit & Amex payment patterns..i.e late ...

Message 13 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@7774x wrote:

@babygirl1256 wrote:

Wow . . . glad to know . . . thanks for posting that information. I'll make sure I keep my card utilizations down and my FICO score high. I've been doing well for the last year and keeping FICO above 800 except for EQ . . . but that score should improve once the last adverse $400.00 (paid) CO purges on 12/1/2022!!!

Amex  rate hikes look at utilization,increasing credit & Amex payment patterns..i.e late ...

According to the notice I received it was because of the decrease in my FICO score:

Reason(s) for Our Decision

We made this decision for the following reason(s):
Your APRs for purchases and balance transfers are lower than the APRs on the same or similar card
products currently offered by American Express for Card Members with similar FICO scores.
Your FICO credit score as provided by Experian.

The only change occurring in my profile that caused the decrease in the FICO score was increased utilization, but that was not referenced in the notice.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@7774x wrote:

@babygirl1256 wrote:

According to the notice I received it was because of the decrease in my FICO score:

Your APRs for purchases and balance transfers are lower than the APRs on the same or similar card
products currently offered by American Express for Card Members with similar FICO scores.

The only change occurring in my profile that caused the decrease in the FICO score was increased utilization, but that was not referenced in the notice.

Where did it reference the decrease in score?   The thing you quoted looks absolutely standard Amex benchmarking your rates against those similar situated (and of course the reference group can change if your score does)

Message 15 of 25
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@7774x wrote:

@babygirl1256 wrote:

Where did it reference the decrease in score?   The thing you quoted looks absolutely standard Amex benchmarking your rates against those similar situated (and of course the reference group can change if your score does)

Agreed. We've seen plenty of DPs about Amex raising interest rates to "come more in line with public offerings," but I too fail to see where they specifically say it was due to a decrease in FICO score. The timing of this may have made it *seem* like it was due to your drop in score, but they've been going around raising rates to match the market on everyone.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 16 of 25
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing @SouthJamaica ! 

Sorry about this, but great that it wasn't a card you had a large balance on. I received a similar letter late last year when my Fico decreased due to utilization, and then received a follow-up letter that they "changed their mind so disregard previous letter" which I found pretty funny.  Maybe you'll receive the same when they feel guilty. 🙂

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I was recently notified that the APR on one of my Amex cards has been increased 2 200 basis points, from 19.49% to 21.49%, based solely upon my FICO score. (distinct from the .25% raise to 19.49% generated by the Fed's credit tightening).  This despite the fact that my payment record with Amex has been pristine, for decades.

To me, this is just one more illustration of the importance of maintaining one's FICO scores at optimal level at all times, not just when making a major credit application.

Many people are fond of saying "Finances > FICO". This is an example of "FICO = Finances"

Message 17 of 25
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SouthJamaica So by that rational, they should lower my APR given my score have improved over 70+ points since I got my AMEX!

CITI, Disco and FNBO has reduced my APR but never AMEX!

I stand corrected! After reading Remedios post, I decided to give it a go with AMEX and they did infact reduced my APR from 24.24% to 20.49%

@SouthJamaica  Seems they hate carrying balance, especially if the payment is around minimum amount! Just reduce your UTI and in few months get your APR back and then some!

Message 18 of 25
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica"Your APRs for purchases and balance transfers are lower than the APRs on the same or similar card products currently offered by American Express for Card Members with similar FICO scores." Looks like AMEX has buckets (scorecards) like FICO. Wonder what it takes to get back to where you were or lower than before APR.

Message 19 of 25
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@7774x wrote:

@babygirl1256 wrote:

You should tell them to lower the APR for those other card members in order to make it more fair Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.