Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AU Card/Amex Offers Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex AU Card/Amex Offers Question

Received an email for my ED 2.5K MR's/$250 spend/3months for adding AU, max 10K MR's. *immediately adds 4 AU's* My question is, does spend on the AU card trigger Amex offers that have been added on the primary account? I.e. will +4 MR at Sam's Club offer on primary card be triggered by Sam's Club spend on AU card?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex AU Card/Amex Offers Question

No.  All Amex Offers are specific to the card that they were opted in for.  AUs will need to create their own Amex login (or add the AU card to their existing Amex online account) and opt in for the offer on their own card.  Primary and AU offers usually have many differences so it's always worth checking out who has which offers.  AUs can only see their own card activity, can make payments in any amount, and cannot access rewards unless specifically given access to do so.

Amex is a bit different in this regard, since they handle AU accounts better than anyone by issuing different card numbers, allowing individual limits, and allowng access to one's own spending.  Most lenders issue the same card number to AUs with a different name printed on it so it wouldn't matter whose card was used for a Chase Offer or BankAmerideal to use two other examples.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha. Thanks @K-In-Boston that was exactly the info I needed. New to Amex AU's and all that.
Message 3 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You're very welcome.  It was a great question that I don't recall seeing asked before.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm AU cards' MR earnings go to primarys' acct; Wonder if AU cards/business cards would track through Rakuten?
Message 5 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm AU cards' MR earnings go to primarys' acct; Wonder if AU cards/business cards would track through Rakuten?

@Anonymous They do indeed track through Rakuten.  When Rakuten transfer points it automatically attaches to the MR program ID.  I found this out here recently as I'm AU on my wife's Platinum card and she is AU on my BBP/EDP/Amex Gold (Soon to be retired).  We both have our own Rakuten account but when the points were transferred they attached my points to her Platinum card rather than my own MR program ID.  Don't know how Rakuten/Amex decided which MR ID gets the points when there are 2 present within an Amex account but for some reason they picked her MR ID to award the points.   So my Rakuten points as well as those of her own went to her MR ID. 

Not a big deal as we both have access to each others points but was still interesting when it happened.  What I did to avoid the same scenario on the next Rakuten to MR transfer was removed her Platinum card from my Amex account and created a separate Amex online account for my AU Platinum card so as when the points are transferred the only MR program ID that will be there is that of my own.  

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat good to know thanksSmiley Happy have you used the BBP through Rakuten? Saw a post or two (not MF, can't remember where) claiming amex business cards didn't track since it was against the TOS? Most likely just a troll.
Message 7 of 8
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

No.  All Amex Offers are specific to the card that they were opted in for.  AUs will need to create their own Amex login (or add the AU card to their existing Amex online account) and opt in for the offer on their own card.  Primary and AU offers usually have many differences so it's always worth checking out who has which offers.  AUs can only see their own card activity, can make payments in any amount, and cannot access rewards unless specifically given access to do so.

Amex is a bit different in this regard, since they handle AU accounts better than anyone by issuing different card numbers, allowing individual limits, and allowng access to one's own spending.  Most lenders issue the same card number to AUs with a different name printed on it so it wouldn't matter whose card was used for a Chase Offer or BankAmerideal to use two other examples.

I love this feature from Amex. My wife puts some of her work expenses on her card (my AU) and it really helps in keeping everything separated. I have not looked at her Amex online dashboard/account but can any one confirm how much of the main account holder's info AU can see? I would imagine they can see basic card infos such as CL and balance but beyond that I have no clue. Christmas is coming up and it would be pretty hard to not reveal a xmas present purchase if she sees everything hehe.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.