Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AU backdate not reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex AU backdate not reporting

The card was opened 4/2012. I was able to get them to backdate the cardholders members since date to 1989, but haven't yet pulled a CR to check it (though the CK scores did see a jump after it was done). I was finally able to backdate my members since date to 2011 (even though I had a prepaid card in 2011 with Amex Smiley Very Happy). I checked my Equifax CR this month and saw that the date the Amex is reporting is still 2012. Shouldn't the CR say 4/2011 instead of 4/2012? My backdating was done sometime in summer, probably July, but no later than August. Online my membership date does show as 2011. I wasn't sure if it was hit or miss with this kind of thing. Shouldn't it show my membership date as opposed to the date it was actually opened, even though I am an AU? Would I need to ask them to update it manually? It's not hurting me in any way, but if I can get a year out of it, then I'd like to. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Amex AU backdate not reporting

backdating is only supposed to work after the changes they're trying to impliment from the date you had a AU card in your possession, and can not backdate to when the account was owned with the primary card holder. not sure if pre-paid cards would qualify you if so it's a good trick to use couldn't hurt to try i guess.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Im a little confused on this.  My AMEX cards are backdated to when I first had an AMEX product in 1993.  If I add an AU to my card, wouldnt that card's date opened (my backdate) report on their credit report? Or is it treated as an entirely different card and the date the card was created in a new card number with different start date? (in this case 2012)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Im a little confused on this.  My AMEX cards are backdated to when I first had an AMEX product in 1993.  If I add an AU to my card, wouldnt that card's date opened (my backdate) report on their credit report? Or is it treated as an entirely different card and the date the card was created in a new card number with different start date? (in this case 2012)

As long as you have your sister as an ACM on your card she will always get the 19-20 years of history,  but it won't lock her member start date in. People used to be able to get THEIR member start date to match the primary card holder's, but they're changing the policies but still some CSR's will do it that doesn't know any better. It might take you 20+ tries or it might take one over the phone.  

Regardless your sister will always have 20 years of history on the card you added her on. When she applies for an Amex she should not have the memberstart date to 1993 unless you keep pressing for it and get lucky.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@distantarray wrote:

backdating is only supposed to work after the changes they're trying to impliment from the date you had a AU card in your possession, and can not backdate to when the account was owned with the primary card holder. not sure if pre-paid cards would qualify you if so it's a good trick to use couldn't hurt to try i guess.

Well I already have myself backdated, so my members since date is '11 and on the card it shows '11 (since it was changed), but on my credit report, it reports the actual date it was opened which was 4/2012. Should my credit report be showing 4/2011 because that is my members since date?

Message 5 of 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

actually, acms don't automatically get backdating any more. my Hilton surpass is backdated to 1988, my wife has been an amex member since 1994, but her acm on my surpass is dated from 7/12. I have spoken to several reps/ supervisors, as has she. they all claim that as of 2011, acm cards are dated only from when the acm was added and they will NOT show the original member's history. as always, someone will post an exception, but this was what many reps stated.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 7
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
actually, acms don't automatically get backdating any more. my Hilton surpass is backdated to 1988, my wife has been an amex member since 1994, but her acm on my surpass is dated from 7/12. I have spoken to several reps/ supervisors, as has she. they all claim that as of 2011, acm cards are dated only from when the acm was added and they will NOT show the original member's history. as always, someone will post an exception, but this was what many reps stated.

This.  

I was told they don't backdate/mine didn't backdate/I didn't inherit the account history, etc.  Some have had luck with getting the backdate to the original cardmember's date, but that's few and far between anymore.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.