Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex AU denied and then approved?

tag
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Amex AU denied and then approved?

Hi Everyone, 

I had an Amex a couple years back and ended up losing my job and not being able to pay my PRG and SPG. My parents wanted to add me as an authorized user to theirs but when I did it over the phone I was denied (probably because I was blacklisted for not paying). My parents then tried again and ordered me a card online without my SSN. I just received the card today and registered the card and I had to put my SSN in and birthday and it says the card is activated and good to go. I tried using the card on an online purchase and it went through and works - am I in the clear now or will they cancel my card soon? 

Any insight on this would be appreciated!

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex AU denied and then approved?

Just have to wait and see. It could go either way. Here’s hoping it stays Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Usually if you're able to activate it successfully you're in the clear.  In the cases similar to yours that I've read about where shutdowns happen it's usually at the time of activation.  YMMV, of course. 

FWIW I added an AU under similar circumstances, and it's been fine for a few years now. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
eastsea
Regular Contributor

I didn't know one could be denied of an AU account.  Is it the case for all banks or just Amex?

Message 4 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

The good thing about being BLed by Amex is that if you app for a product of theirs they will auto deny you without pulling your reports. 

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eastsea, any bank can approve or deny anyone for a primary account or an AU for any reason or no reason at all. It’s their money and their sandbox, and they make all the rules.
Message 6 of 7
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

**update 09/28**

so far so good! still in the clear

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.