Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Amazon Prime renwal offer

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Amazon Prime renwal offer

Instead, it might be feasible by calling the AMZ customer service to see its possibility to cancel earlier and reimburse the rest or as another option, pay eary to extend the membership. Some might try and post here the result. Note that these options do not exist online and I think it is not fair to have only one option to pay AF for the entire of the year, even needing a service for a few months...

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 31 of 45
ohreally7654
Established Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Instead, it might be feasible by calling the AMZ customer service to see its possibility to cancel earlier and reimburse the rest or as another option, pay eary to extend the membership. Some might try and post here the result. Note that these options do not exist online and I think it is not fair to have only one option to pay AF for the entire of the year, even needing a service for a few months...

It's very easy to cancel online. I'm the one who posted I did it a few days ago and purchased a new membership. Already got my 5,000 points posted to PGR. Go to the main Amazon site, click under accounts and lists, select Prime membership. From there, on the left side of the screen about half way down there is a button that says "end membership". I was able to be refunded for the prorated portion of my membership and purchased a new one! Took me 2-3 minutes to do!

Started rebuilding 8/2015. Current Fico 8 Scores 9/17: TU FICO: 698 (from 646 3/15/16) | EX FICO: 689 (from 617 3/15/16) | EQ FICO: 670 (from 614 3/15/16). Discover Miles: $10K | Amex PRG | Amex BCE $2K | Amex SPG $2K | Citi Aadvantage $7K | JetBlue Plus MC $3.9K | Walmart MC $3.5K | Marvel MC $5K | NFCU CashRewards $15K | CareCredit $12K | PenFed Amex $9K | USAA Limitless Visa Sig $6K | NFCU goRewards $20K | NFCU Amex $10.4K | NavCheck $13.5K | Blispay $4K | QS $9.5K | Pier 1 $21.1K | RH $20.7K | JCrew $16.8K | Wayfair $4.9K | Pottery Barn $19.5K | Discover IT $4.1K | Nord. Visa Sig $22K | USAA Visa Plat $2.5K | Neiman Marcus $6.4k | Amex Delta Reserve $1k | Saks $15K | VS $2.2K | Target $1K | Macy's $25K | Bloomies Amex $25K| West Elm $12.4K | PP Credit (Comenity) $4.4K
Message 32 of 45
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

It does not work here and it gives the end date in mid-February.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 33 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this just to renew? I literally just started a MTM prime account yesterday. I think the ED card had another promotion going on with Amex if you spend a certain amount, which I did. I got the email from Amex. I'll look more into later.
Message 34 of 45
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

I was trying to figure out how to do this. Because when I went to cancel online it said that my prime membership would continue to have benefits until april (my renewal date). So i chatted with amex first. There wasn't anything they could do about that offer or finding the other offer that pp mentioned. Then I chatted with Amazon. The first rep said yes no problem I've updated your card and it will be charged now but it seemed fishy and I think he was just trying to get me off chat. Card was not charged. Then I chatted with Amazon again and the girl was very helpful. She said no problem I'll just cancel your current membership and benefits and the money will be refunded to your original payment method (the prorated amount for the next 6 months) and then charged to the Amex. Got confirmation email from Amex saying thanks for using your offer.+5000 points. Score!

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 35 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditdreamer wrote:

I was trying to figure out how to do this. Because when I went to cancel online it said that my prime membership would continue to have benefits until april (my renewal date). So i chatted with amex first. There wasn't anything they could do about that offer or finding the other offer that pp mentioned. Then I chatted with Amazon. The first rep said yes no problem I've updated your card and it will be charged now but it seemed fishy and I think he was just trying to get me off chat. Card was not charged. Then I chatted with Amazon again and the girl was very helpful. She said no problem I'll just cancel your current membership and benefits and the money will be refunded to your original payment method (the prorated amount for the next 6 months) and then charged to the Amex. Got confirmation email from Amex saying thanks for using your offer.+5000 points. Score!

Thanks for this information.  Will have to give it a try.

Message 36 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Creditdreamer wrote:

Do you have any Prime add-on services like video channels? If so, were they immediately resumed on your devices?

Those are what's holding me back from experimenting.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 37 of 45
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Creditdreamer wrote:

Do you have any Prime add-on services like video channels? If so, were they immediately resumed on your devices?

I can't see that that would change anything. Plus wouldn't it take like 5 mins to re-add them? It's worth the money in the points to spend a few mins. I don't have any video subscriptions currently though. It seems like they wouldn't cancel those. Because those are something you're paying for, not a benefit through your Prime membership, right?

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 38 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Creditdreamer wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Creditdreamer wrote:

I can't see that that would change anything. Plus wouldn't it take like 5 mins to re-add them? It's worth the money in the points to spend a few mins. I don't have any video subscriptions currently though. It seems like they wouldn't cancel those. Because those are something you're paying for, not a benefit through your Prime membership, right?

I definitely pay extra for them, but I think they require Prime in the first place. If so, an interruption to Prime would mean ending those. If I don't get partial refunds on those, it eats into any extra rewards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 39 of 45
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I just had a word with chat about this.

I've used enough of my Prime benefits that he said I would not get a partial refund if I cancel now.  However, I do have the option of cancelling now without a refund to take advantage of the Amex offer.

I told him I'd take that away and come back if I decide it's worth it.

So... 5 remaining months of Prime (around $40 prorated) vs. 5,000 MR points... what would you do?

Or... I could wait until January to do it which would be a much easier trade-off... but I would rather have the MRs now to redeem for a booking next month, so there's an opportunity cost there.  I think I just went from no options to too many...

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.