Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Authorized User and AAoA

tag
SimonP
Valued Member

Amex Authorized User and AAoA

After finding out about the new credit card law, I finally added my wife into my own Amex instead of applying for a new card, because she does not have any income. She got her card today, and to my surprise both the "credit card number" and "member since" values are different than my card. It shows member since 11 on my card, while on hers it shows 12.

Does this mean she gets her own history with Amex from now on? So, maybe in the future if she gets her own account, the backdating starts from Jan 2012.

My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Chase Sapphire, Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+, Citi Premier
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Authorized User and AAoA

I've noticed that too with AU's not being offered the membership date of the basic cardmember.  I think this is a recent change given the widespread abuse where some sought to game the system by offering AUs backdating.  For example, in the past, if you're a member since 99, all your AUs will be grandfathered in as members since 99, as a courtesy to you.  However, I think they've stopped this practice, and have refused to backdate AUs.

As to the different account number, it's to seperate and make the AU responsible for his/her charges should be basic cardmember be unable or unwilling to pay.

Message 2 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yes, any new AMEX that she opens would show 2012 as the open year, and the current month....for example if she got an AMEX card next March, it would show a date opened of March2012 on her credit reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Open123 wrote:

I've noticed that too with AU's not being offered the membership date of the basic cardmember.  I think this is a recent change given the widespread abuse where some sought to game the system by offering AUs backdating.  For example, in the past, if you're a member since 99, all your AUs will be grandfathered in as members since 99, as a courtesy to you.  However, I think they've stopped this practice, and have refused to backdate AUs.

As to the different account number, it's to seperate and make the AU responsible for his/her charges should be basic cardmember be unable or unwilling to pay.

This is a good point - AMEX doesn't really call them AUs , but rather "additional cardmembers".   In general AUs are not liable for their charges, only the original cardholder is.   However that is not the case with AMEX additional cardmembers, they are liable for their own charges.

Message 4 of 15
SimonP
Valued Member

@pizzadude wrote:
This is a good point - AMEX doesn't really call them AUs , but rather "additional cardmembers".   In general AUs are not liable for their charges, only the original cardholder is.   However that is not the case with AMEX additional cardmembers, they are liable for their own charges.

What do you mean by "liable" term? If main card holder does not pay the bill, the additional card member is responsible for his/her own share?

In my case, I really appreciate her having a separate history, since later she will get her own backdating, but being responsible is something to look for.

My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Chase Sapphire, Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+, Citi Premier
Message 5 of 15
Open123
Super Contributor

@SimonP wrote:

What do you mean by "liable" term? If main card holder does not pay the bill, the additional card member is responsible for his/her own share?

In my case, I really appreciate her having a separate history, since later she will get her own backdating, but being responsible is something to look for.

Yes, if for whatever reason, the Basic cardmember (you) don't pay, they can and will go after the charges any additional cardmembers (her) make on the card belongs to them, hence the separate account number.  

Also, if an additional cardmember consistently charges more than the Basic cardmember, be prepared for a financial review.

Message 6 of 15
SimonP
Valued Member

@Open123 wrote:

Also, if an additional cardmember consistently charges more than the Basic cardmember, be prepared for a financial review.

Wow, FR because your wife goes to the grocery stores more than you do! Thanks for the heads up.

Message 7 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@SimonP wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Wow, FR because your wife goes to the grocery stores more than you do! Thanks for the heads up.

I don't think so.   The FR risk is really exaggerated.   You aren't going to get a FR for buying more groceries.   If you make purchases of thousands of dollars of US Mint coins every month, THAT would be an example of purchasing that would draw attention.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, interesting. I don't have an Amex card yet, but I had planned on getting one this year. My logic was that one I get one, I could add my sister and brother-in-law to them once they turn 18, that way they'd get the backdated membership date and it would help them with their own credit. But I guess it won't really help as much now.

Not to hijack the topic too much, but does Amex have a limit of how many AUs you can add per account?

Message 9 of 15
SimonP
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm, interesting. I don't have an Amex card yet, but I had planned on getting one this year. My logic was that one I get one, I could add my sister and brother-in-law to them once they turn 18, that way they'd get the backdated membership date and it would help them with their own credit. But I guess it won't really help as much now.

Not to hijack the topic too much, but does Amex have a limit of how many AUs you can add per account?

I think up to four cards are free, after that you have to pay something.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.