Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE came, new Fraud alerts?

tag
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Amex BCE came, new Fraud alerts?

Hi all so finally my Amex BCE came in the mail today,( beautiful as hell) anyways when I proceed to activate it by calling the number I was transferred to a CSR in Ohio to activate it. I noticed the convo was being recorded through the phone due to a beep sound every 2mins. I have heard people not receiving their Amex card in the mail, so I just want to know if this is a NEW fraud prevention they put up upon activating the card?

I was always asked some general questions such as, how I heard about the card, what I plan on using it for and the nice CSR lady told me about the points system and my $100 cash back offer. Also when I answered her question about how I plan to use it( I said everyday purchase) she told me that it was a great idea and in time it will benefit me a lot ( I am assuming he was referring to the 3x CLI)

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex BCE came, new Fraud alerts?

@JaeJae12 wrote:
Hi all so finally my Amex BCE came in the mail today,( beautiful as hell) anyways when I proceed to activate it by calling the number I was transferred to a CSR in Ohio to activate it. I noticed the convo was being recorded through the phone due to a beep sound every 2mins. I have heard people not receiving their Amex card in the mail, so I just want to know if this is a NEW fraud prevention they put up upon activating the card?

I was always asked some general questions such as, how I heard about the card, what I plan on using it for and the nice CSR lady told me about the points system and my $100 cash back offer. Also when I answered her question about how I plan to use it( I said everyday purchase) she told me that it was a great idea and in time it will benefit me a lot ( I am assuming he was referring to the 3x CLI)

The same exact thing happened to me when I was activating mine via phone. After I entered the card information into the phone to activate it, I was immediately transferred to a CSR. I kept hearing a tone every so often but I didn't think anything of it. I found the beep annoying but I just figured it was either my phone acting up or their system. The guy activating my card welcomed me to American Express. He then asked what attracted me to the card, how I planned to use it, what stores would I be shopping at, etc. He then broke down the rewards program and told me about my bonus offer. I figure he asked those questions so he could cater what he was going to say to me. I think they transfer you to rep so you can ask any questions if you need to so they don't send you out into the wild unprepared. I will be trying for a 3x CLI on June 26th though. That is 61 days from the day after I activated the card which was thursday (just to be sure I don't do it too soon).

Message 2 of 4
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

I think the beepin tone is recording our conversation, the tone made it very obvious though, I think it's some type of fraud prevention. First time I had this while activating a card

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 3 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

whenever i called amex, i noticed it too.

it seems that it beeps whenever you start talking. probably recording down the conversation for monitoring / fraud or watever reason they always give to tell you your call is being monitored and recorded.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.