cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE to BCP upgrade Offer with Bonus! Questions?

tag
TyRacing
Frequent Contributor

Amex BCE to BCP upgrade Offer with Bonus! Questions?

I'm receiving the offer to upgrade my Amex BCE to the BCP with a bonus of $150 after spending $1K in 3mos.

My questions are: will they do a HP? and will they charge the $95 Annual Fee upfront or at the end?

Thank you all for the great support! Smiley Happy

Have the Following:

CashBack Cards Goals: Citi Rewards+

Note to Self: Focus on the Abundance of Love and you shall have more!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex BCE to BCP upgrade Offer with Bonus! Questions?

@TyRacing wrote:

I'm receiveing the offer to upgrade my Amex BCE to the BCP with a bonus of $150 after you spending $1K in 3mos.

My questions are: will they do a HP? and will they charge the $95 Annual Fee upfront or at the end?

I cannot speak for Amex but I have not heard of Amex doing a hard pull for such a product change. Amex often even issues new credit for card holders without a hard pull.

Annual fee will be prorated with a full fee around next card anniversary date.

Message 2 of 10
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@TyRacing wrote:

I'm receiveing the offer to upgrade my Amex BCE to the BCP with a bonus of $150 after you spending $1K in 3mos.

I did this the end of May. They didn't do a HP, they will adjust the $95 AF per the anniversary date of your BCE. For example, my anniversary date for the BCE is in January, but I upgraded in May. They mentioned I would have a "prorated" (I forget if they used that exact term, but you get the idea) AF in July sometime (which I have not yet gotten). A CSR also told me since I upgraded before June 1, I would be eligible for the additional 3-months (per Covid offer) to make the $1K spend (though I doubt I am going to need the extra time)

Potential Future Cards
Message 3 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Does the offer include a waived AF for 12 months?

I got $250/$1k with the AF due about a year ago. If it's $150 with the AF due I'd hold out for $250, or $150 with the AF waived for 12 months.

I was charged a partial AF of $2.08 (not exactly sure how they calculated that particular fraction of $95) when I upgraded and the regular $95 after my account anniversary several weeks later.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 10
TyRacing
Frequent Contributor

idk if the AF is waived. maybe i should to get the $250 offer!

Capture.GIF

Have the Following:

CashBack Cards Goals: Citi Rewards+

Note to Self: Focus on the Abundance of Love and you shall have more!

Message 5 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't see any mention of a waiver. I'd hold out for a bigger bonus...especially if you'll be downgrading again before too long. Without much spend, the AF eats up too much of the upgrade bonus.

Though if you'd get close to or reach the $6k threshold, maybe take this one.

Message 6 of 10
Dgr24
Valued Member

@TyRacing wrote:

I'm receiving the offer to upgrade my Amex BCE to the BCP with a bonus of $150 after spending $1K in 3mos.

I'm only curious, how long have you had your BCE? Thanks!

Credit Cards

Retail Cards
Message 7 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I don't see any mention of a waiver. I'd hold out for a bigger bonus...especially if you'll be downgrading again before too long. Without much spend, the AF eats up too much of the upgrade bonus.

I got the $250 BCE>BCP upgrade offer last year as well, but Amex seems to be a bit less generous these days, I've only seen folks with a $150 upgrade offer for some time now. They prorated my AF last year and I just got hit with the $95 AF last month and I came out just a few bucks ahead with Amex cashback rewards vs. AF so my $250 upgrade is "intact",  my grocery & gas spend isn't that much - single & I buy more groceries at Walmart and my car gets 36 mpg. But I paid my AF for this year and will wait to downgrade before it hits again next year. I got Cash Magnet this spring, got the $150 spend bonus and then loaded it with 18 month 0% BTs, so I don't want to upset the Amex cash machine. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Dgr24 wrote:

@TyRacing wrote:

I'm only curious, how long have you had your BCE? Thanks!

FWIW, I had my BCE for about 2 years before upgrade offers began, but YMMV. I didn't get into the upgrade/downgrade game for a while.

Message 9 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I got the $250 BCE>BCP upgrade offer last year as well, but Amex seems to be a bit less generous these days, I've only seen folks with a $150 upgrade offer for some time now. They prorated my AF last year and I just got hit with the $95 AF last month and I came out just a few bucks ahead with Amex cashback rewards vs. AF so my $250 upgrade is "intact",  my grocery & gas spend isn't that much - single & I buy more groceries at Walmart and my car gets 36 mpg. But I paid my AF for this year and will wait to downgrade before it hits again next year. I got Cash Magnet this spring, got the $150 spend bonus and then loaded it with 18 month 0% BTs, so I don't want to upset the Amex cash machine. Smiley Wink

I got 25k/$2k to upgrade my ED to EDP a few days ago. No AF waiver.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.