Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP BCE carriers, online grocery?

tag
eastsea
Regular Contributor

Amex BCP BCE carriers, online grocery?

I have a BCE but unfortunately due to the pandemic plus the fact I am very high risk I now only buy groceries online and have them delieverd to door.  

Trying to use BCE for groceries but Amazon Fresh doesn't count, Walmart Neighborhood Market counts but doesn't deliver, Instacart charges a fee.  

Any other places that deliever groceries and count as grocery and don't charge a hefty fee?  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Amex BCP BCE carriers, online grocery?

I earn 6% with BCP at Instacart for delivieries to a relative. The delivery fee, service fee, and tip can add up...though there's a few miles of driving involved and few drivers so I'm willing to pay the fee. Amazon Fresh will deliver to the address, but finding a delivery slot is the hard part...Instacart has more availability.

For myself, I strap on my N100 and brave Costco every few weeks. Lots of broccoli and frozen fruit and meat. I'm thinking of using Instacart between these trips, though.

But with your BCE, we're still talking 3% vs. 1%. If Amazon Fresh will delivery to you...reliably and for little or no fee...I'd stick with that and just live with less than 3%.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have Chase freedom, this quarter is groceries and Amazon Fresh is 5% back. Luckily I have both Freedom and BCP so for Amazon Fresh I use Chase and for the rare trips I make to my local grocery or Trader Joe's,  I use BCP. Another option is if you have an Amex charge card or the Everyday card, you can get 5x the MR rewards on Amazon. There's also 20% off deal if you pay with at least 1 MR point but I don't think it works for Amazon Fresh just for regular Amazon purchases. 

Message 3 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And if you have the Chase Amazon card and have a WholeFoods nearby, you can get 5% on those with no delivery charge, just a suggested tip.

Takes a while (by refreshing the page) to get a slot, but I have always been able to get one the same day

Message 4 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

And if you have the Chase Amazon card and have a WholeFoods nearby, you can get 5% on those with no delivery charge, just a suggested tip.

Takes a while (by refreshing the page) to get a slot, but I have always been able to get one the same day

Browsing OP's recent posts...

"I only have 2 credit cards so I have no choice but list them both.

Bank of America Cash Rewards

American Express Blue Cash Everyday"

so anything new would require an application...and should take a SUB into account.

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Browsing OP's recent posts...

"I only have 2 credit cards so I have no choice but list them both.

Bank of America Cash Rewards

American Express Blue Cash Everyday"

so anything new would require an application...and should take a SUB into account.

Good point

Message 6 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It's possible that some online grocery service might code as "online purchases" with BofA. I haven't tried any using that card, but Uber Eats counts.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best cards for Amazon Fresh are Amazon Store Card and the Chase Amazon Rewards. 

Target is the best card for Target. 

Walmart is the best card for Walmart Grocery. 

Unfortunately, your best options are going to involve getting a new card. 

Message 8 of 13
eastsea
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  

The Bank of America Cash Rewards online shopping would have been perfect but recently my townhouse started to waive credit card fees and replaced with a fixed fee each month when paying with a credit card and since that spend qualifies for BoA online shopping (I tested) it became a no-brainer.  The thing is now the housing expenses pretty much use up the Cash Rewards quarterly cap.  

That's why I was hoping to take advantage of the American Express Blue Cash Everyday for groceries but I couldn't find a good use for it.  

Sounds like I need another card?   

Message 9 of 13
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

As someone noted, we are talking about the difference between 3% or with the right card, maybe 5%, vs 1%. On a $200 order, going from 1% to 3% will save you $4. Going from 1% to 5% will save you $8. For ten $200 orders, we're talking $40-$80 total savings. It is not life-changing. But yes, if you want to maximize cashback percentage, personally, I'd look at the Amazon options (Store Card - Sync Bank, and Visa - Chase). JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.