Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP for military?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Amex BCP for military?

I have always said that I never wanted an Amex, because they just aren't very useful for me as I am often stationed overseas. I should return to the United States sometime around summer of 2015, though, and think that a BCP would be useful for grocery and fuel purchases when I return. I have a looked on the Amex online offers and have an offer already for the BCP. I was thinking about applying for this sometime in 2014 so that I can establish a little bit earlier member date.

The only issue, though, is that I will be paying an annual fee, right off the bat, for a card that is only useful at US grocery stores and US gas stations.  There are almost none of these here in England, except for some post commisaries, which I seldom use.

I have heard that Amex might refund the annual fee if I claim that I am active duty military.  I don't know if this will work with a brand-new card, so the question is whether I should just get a BCE and try to upgrade later or if I should stick with the BCP and try to get the fees refunded.  Any advice would be appreciated, especially from someone with military experience.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex BCP for military?

This does work wth a brand new card as I had someone in my office do this on Thursday.  Not sure how it will take to process the refund of the AF, but they appeared glad to help getting it done.  Waiting for my verification to see how much of a refund I will get.  The downside is if you utilize the facilities on the installation they don't count for the cashback.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 2 of 9
mattmix36
Contributor

Hey man. Active duty O1-E here. I just got the AMEX platinum card in January, and the annual fee is being 100% refunded. All I did was call customer service after I received the crd in the mail, mentioned the Service-members civil relief act, and the refund was processed no questions.

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 3 of 9
mattmix36
Contributor

Note that I did pay the annual fee, but I will receive a 100% refund. Additionally, I will not be charged a fee in the future...even for additional card holders.

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 4 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Thanks! It sounds like the AF refund is not hard to do after all. I will probably apply for this after a special order on a new car I am doing is complete and reporting.
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 9
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I have always said that I never wanted an Amex, because they just aren't very useful for me as I am often stationed overseas. I should return to the United States sometime around summer of 2015, though, and think that a BCP would be useful for grocery and fuel purchases when I return. I have a looked on the Amex online offers and have an offer already for the BCP. I was thinking about applying for this sometime in 2014 so that I can establish a little bit earlier member date.

The only issue, though, is that I will be paying an annual fee, right off the bat, for a card that is only useful at US grocery stores and US gas stations.  There are almost none of these here in England, except for some post commisaries, which I seldom use.

I have heard that Amex might refund the annual fee if I claim that I am active duty military.  I don't know if this will work with a brand-new card, so the question is whether I should just get a BCE and try to upgrade later or if I should stick with the BCP and try to get the fees refunded.  Any advice would be appreciated, especially from someone with military experience.

Don't forget you'll also pay 2.7% FTF if you use abroad.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 6 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

Don't forget you'll also pay 2.7% FTF if you use abroad.

It would be difficult to use off-post, since I can't think of a single place that will accept it.  I would just use it occasionally at the commisary and post fuel station, hoping that they will count as US grocery and US gas.  I really was just looking for a good way to further maximize my rewards, but if thats not going to work then I don't think Amex is beneficial to me.  It would be more useful in later years though.  I wish Amex offered a more global card.

Message 7 of 9
H4LO
Established Contributor

Why not just go for the old Blue Cash vs the BCP?

It's essentially the BCP without annual fee.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 8 of 9
phonic
Contributor

@H4LO wrote:

Why not just go for the old Blue Cash vs the BCP?

It's essentially the BCP without annual fee.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

You don't get the same percentages for cash back. For the average household spending $400-500/month in groceries, the BCP will pay back more enough to compensate the AF.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.