Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BT/Moving Limits?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Amex BT/Moving Limits?

At some point, I will most likely be wanting to transfer the balance from my Disco to another card. I would love to NOT open a new card, but that may be the case. 

My question is: If I were to get approved for a new Amex card, would I be able to immediately move some of the limit from my BCE to the brand new card? (I'm assuming the new card would not have a high enough SL to be useful.)

All of you Amex-savvy people, chime in! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex BT/Moving Limits?

@pinkandgrey wrote:

At some point, I will most likely be wanting to transfer the balance from my Disco to another card. I would love to NOT open a new card, but that may be the case. 

My question is: If I were to get approved for a new Amex card, would I be able to immediately move some of the limit from my BCE to the brand new card? (I'm assuming the new card would not have a high enough SL to be useful.)

Hi @pinkandgrey , I have always been able to move limits to a new card right away.

others have reported not being able to. I think Amex would be kind to You ..IMHO

The only time I could not move limits, was when I had high utilization on a Chase card and was "credit seeking"

They relaxed that after I had paid the Chase card down.

Hope some of this helps youSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Hi @pinkandgrey , I have always been able to move limits to a new card right away.

others have reported not being able to. I think Amex would be kind to You ..IMHO

The only time I could not move limits, was when I had high utilization on a Chase card and was "credit seeking"

Thank you! It DOES help me. Hopefully the high utilization I have on the Discover (hence the BT) won't make Amex angry lol 

Message 3 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

There was a time when AMEX required the donor card CL to be seasoned over 12 months. Meaning if you had a $6k limit and two months ago got a 3x to $18k limit, only the $6k portion could be moved to a new card near term. 

Whether that still is applicable I do not know. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Thank you! It DOES help me. Hopefully the high utilization I have on the Discover (hence the BT) won't make Amex angry lol 

I think you will be OK, Just as long as you don't go above the magic 89% threshold,

and pay a little more than minimum payments.

Message 5 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I think you will be OK, Just as long as you don't go above the magic 89% threshold,

and pay a little more than minimum payments.

Whoo I'm nowhere near 89% thankfully lol 

Message 6 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

There was a time when AMEX required the donor card CL to be seasoned over 12 months. Meaning if you had a $6k limit and two months ago got a 3x to $18k limit, only the $6k portion could be moved to a new card near term. 

Good to know. I've had my 18k in place for awhile now, so I suppose that wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the heads-up!

Message 7 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Last year I picked up the Delta Blue and Amex Everyday with very generous SCL's,

Moved the limits right away to other cards. (had to leave $1000.00 on each of the donor cards.)

closed the Amex Delta Blue and kept the Everyday. Then opened another Delta card about 4 months after.

I have no idea if being a member since the 1980's played into any of that.

Message 8 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Last year I picked up the Delta Blue and Amex Everyday with very generous SCL's,

Moved the limits right away to other cards. (had to leave $1000.00 on each of the donor cards.)

closed the Amex Delta Blue and kept the Everyday. Then opened another Delta card about 4 months after.

I have no idea if being a member since the 1980's played into any of that.

I suspect being a member since the 1980's played into that lol. Hopefully if I end up doing this, Amex will be kind to me. I've been a member since 2017, but I do have one blemish in my history with them. I opened a BCP a couple years ago and closed it prior to the one-year mark. I don't know if Amex has forgiven me or not.... 

Message 9 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I have closed Cash Magnet and Delta Blue before one year and still was able to get the SUB on Delta Gold.

I really think that you will do well. IMHO

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.