cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating Success (Apr/May '15) :)

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Backdating Success (Apr/May '15) :)

OP, I hate to break it to you, but you must have misread your CR or something. As far as backdating goes, you're SOL if you apped after 3/21--backdating is dead!

Message 31 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For what it's worth: I got excited by this post, having just opened my second Amex account a few days ago. I had previously been an account holder with Amex from 1991-2010, so I did not have an active account with them from 2010 until last week. My new BCE has "Member Since 91" on it. I haven't had a statement yet, and the card hasn't been reported yet.

I just now called their Credit Bureau Unit (1-800-874-2717) and the nice lady explained what most on here have reported: that accounts opened on March 22, 2015 and after will not be backdated. I asked her when she thought the policy would revert to the old ways and she laughed and said the policy change is permanent. (I guess anything is permanent until it isn't, but I'm not holding my breath on this.)

This is what's been bugging me since they first announced the changes.  My PRG account was aproved on March 17th, yet I did not get the backdating..??  Maybe a call to that number might not hurt.

You can try but... It's not when its approved that matters but the date of first reporting.  If it was reported on or before 3/21 to the CRAs you received the backdating.  After that date, no such luck.  The above rep misstated one part, it's when it's reported, not opened that matters.

Message 32 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For what it's worth: I got excited by this post, having just opened my second Amex account a few days ago. I had previously been an account holder with Amex from 1991-2010, so I did not have an active account with them from 2010 until last week. My new BCE has "Member Since 91" on it. I haven't had a statement yet, and the card hasn't been reported yet.

I just now called their Credit Bureau Unit (1-800-874-2717) and the nice lady explained what most on here have reported: that accounts opened on March 22, 2015 and after will not be backdated. I asked her when she thought the policy would revert to the old ways and she laughed and said the policy change is permanent. (I guess anything is permanent until it isn't, but I'm not holding my breath on this.)

This is what's been bugging me since they first announced the changes.  My PRG account was aproved on March 17th, yet I did not get the backdating..??  Maybe a call to that number might not hurt.

You can try but... It's not when its approved that matters but the date of first reporting.  If it was reported on or before 3/21 to the CRAs you received the backdating.  After that date, no such luck.  The above rep misstated one part, it's when it's reported, not opened that matters.

Thanks for the clarification, Irish.  I appreciate it !

Message 33 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Irish.  I appreciate it !

You're very welcome.  It sucks for you that you only missed out by a few days.  Nonetheless, the PRG is a good card regardless of the backdating.  I'm going to apply for for the BCF soon. I wish I could get the 25 years of credit age but the card still has value.

Message 34 of 87
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Guys please hold off calling Amex until we learn more about this. If this really did happen and it is a glitch, we don't want to give Amex a heads up on it.

Message 35 of 87
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@thelethargicage wrote:

OP, I hate to break it to you, but you must have misread your CR or something. As far as backdating goes, you're SOL if you apped after 3/21--backdating is dead!

Now, now... let's not be curmudgeony!  Let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt and see if there is any evidence that supports it.  Did you have your (non-McDonalds) coffee yet?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 87
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

Now, now... let's not be curmudgeony!  Let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt and see if there is any evidence that supports it.  Did you have your (non-McDonalds) coffee yet?  Smiley Very Happy

I drank my daily thimble of 53 cent Cuban coffee...only to find out they hac jacked up the price to 64 cents!

Message 37 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few weeks ago I learned here about backdating - I have a Costco Amex opened 2011 and remembered that I had an amex card through my employer at 2001 - I contacted customer service last week and today I got notified that they are sending me a new card and noticed that online it now appears as MSD 2001.

My question is on CRAs reporting - Since the card first reported to CRAs before the cutoff date of Mar 21st this year (reported first in 2011), will it be backdated?

Message 38 of 87
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thought Id come on a stir up trouble...

This a CRA thing, not an AMEX thing.. Nordstroms backdates as well, and when I was reproved the card, I asked the executive credit manager if they could report it to the CRA as 2006, not 2015...She said, they aren't allowed to do that anymore, but sent me my card with 2006 on it. my 2 cents, LOLSmiley Wink

Message 39 of 87
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A few weeks ago I learned here about backdating - I have a Costco Amex opened 2011 and remembered that I had an amex card through my employer at 2001 - I contacted customer service last week and today I got notified that they are sending me a new card and noticed that online it now appears as MSD 2001.

My question is on CRAs reporting - Since the card first reported to CRAs before the cutoff date of Mar 21st this year (reported first in 2011), will it be backdated?

Probably not, it would have to have first reported before the 21st of this year with an older open date. 

Interesting that the OP has not responded to this thread yet. I have a feeling they were mistaken...

Message 40 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.