cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Backdating Success (Apr/May '15) :)

tag
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Backdating Success (Apr/May '15) :)

I think it's safe to say OP was either incorrect, or pulling our leg.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 41 of 87
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

I was approved for the PRG on March 20 2015, but AMEX did not report the card to the credit bureaus until April 19. My original card with AMEX was in 1987. I was able to get the Member Since date backdated to 1987, but the reporting date was the issue. So I missed the backdating bangwagon by ONE DAY, which meant 27 YEARS of lost account age. Although it would be great to have been able to open multple AMEX cards to lower my AAOC, the end of backdating is probably a blessing for me. I will only open AMEX that make sense for me to do so. For me, the AMEX EveryDay Preferred and the Starwood are the only other ones I would keep and use long term. But if I were offered 100,000 Membership Points to sign up for the AMEX Platiinum I would just for the bonus and the other benefits. 

Message 42 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A few weeks ago I learned here about backdating - I have a Costco Amex opened 2011 and remembered that I had an amex card through my employer at 2001 - I contacted customer service last week and today I got notified that they are sending me a new card and noticed that online it now appears as MSD 2001.

My question is on CRAs reporting - Since the card first reported to CRAs before the cutoff date of Mar 21st this year (reported first in 2011), will it be backdated?

Probably not, it would have to have first reported before the 21st of this year with an older open date. 

Interesting that the OP has not responded to this thread yet. I have a feeling they were mistaken...

Well, since it was reported here and in other forums that they won't back date new cards first reported after Mar 21st and mine first reported prior I though it is worth a try. I'll call the Amex Credit Reporting unit when they open after the weekend and ask... 

Message 43 of 87
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

My BCP has been reporting since 2013, and Im unable to have it backdated on my CR's Smiley Sad My BCP statement cut on the 24th of March, and I made the request during that statement.. Missed it by 3 days, but atleast I managed to get my Hilton backdated to 2007.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 44 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

My BCP has been reporting since 2013, and Im unable to have it backdated on my CR's Smiley Sad My BCP statement cut on the 24th of March, and I made the request during that statement.. Missed it by 3 days, but atleast I managed to get my Hilton backdated to 2007.

So from that, it seems that it is not only  "Amex account opened after 3/21/2015 will be reporting as that card effective date" as stated in other threads, bur rather that Amex has stopped backdating to the CRAs alltogether.

If only I knew about this practice last year.. Smiley Sad  

Message 45 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For what it's worth: I got excited by this post, having just opened my second Amex account a few days ago. I had previously been an account holder with Amex from 1991-2010, so I did not have an active account with them from 2010 until last week. My new BCE has "Member Since 91" on it. I haven't had a statement yet, and the card hasn't been reported yet.

I just now called their Credit Bureau Unit (1-800-874-2717) and the nice lady explained what most on here have reported: that accounts opened on March 22, 2015 and after will not be backdated. I asked her when she thought the policy would revert to the old ways and she laughed and said the policy change is permanent. (I guess anything is permanent until it isn't, but I'm not holding my breath on this.)

This is what's been bugging me since they first announced the changes.  My PRG account was aproved on March 17th, yet I did not get the backdating..??  Maybe a call to that number might not hurt.

My first AMEX Costco card was in 2000. I closed it in December, 2014. On March 13, 2015 I apped and got the BCE card. That would put me before the March 22, 2015 date. HOWEVER, it is my understanding now that the magic "March 22, 2015" is the reporting date to the CRAs, and not the date you got or activated the card. My new BCE card says 2000, but was reported as a new card in April. 

(There's 3 more pages to this thread so maybe I'm beating a dead horse).

Message 46 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For what it's worth: I got excited by this post, having just opened my second Amex account a few days ago. I had previously been an account holder with Amex from 1991-2010, so I did not have an active account with them from 2010 until last week. My new BCE has "Member Since 91" on it. I haven't had a statement yet, and the card hasn't been reported yet.

I just now called their Credit Bureau Unit (1-800-874-2717) and the nice lady explained what most on here have reported: that accounts opened on March 22, 2015 and after will not be backdated. I asked her when she thought the policy would revert to the old ways and she laughed and said the policy change is permanent. (I guess anything is permanent until it isn't, but I'm not holding my breath on this.)

This is what's been bugging me since they first announced the changes.  My PRG account was aproved on March 17th, yet I did not get the backdating..??  Maybe a call to that number might not hurt.

My first AMEX Costco card was in 2000. I closed it in December, 2014. On March 13, 2015 I apped and got the BCE card. That would put me before the March 22, 2015 date. HOWEVER, it is my understanding now that the magic "March 22, 2015" is the reporting date to the CRAs, and not the date you got or activated the card. My new BCE card says 2000, but was reported as a new card in April. 

(There's 3 more pages to this thread so maybe I'm beating a dead horse).

From what I read here and in the Amex forums, you seem correct, it is the reporting date and not open date.

It also seems from what I'm reading here, is that it is not only new cards, even cards that reported earlier can't be backdated (I'll call Monday to verify as this is my case). 

Message 47 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just spoke with the Amex credit reporting unit.

The CSR claims that the policy change is only for new cards  first reporting after the cuttoff date - and that if my cards has first reported in 2011, they can still change.

Asked me to give her time to escalate it and that I should call back on Friday.

I won't trust that until I can a final yes/no answer. 

Message 48 of 87
newhis
Valued Contributor

@gshope, good luck!

Message 49 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be watching this thread closely as well.  My Amex PRG missed the cutoff by only a few days which kept it from being backdated to 1980 !  That would give me a huge bump in AAoA which is one of the reasons I applied for the card to begin with (I already had the EDP).  Thanks for the heads up OP !!

1980? Geez, you must be old.

Message 50 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.