Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blacklisted Part 2?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Blacklisted Part 2?

So without further adieu success! The check is in the mail or the card that is...I'm a happy Amex customer card holder and I love their service all around. And yes I've dealt with their CSR's a number of times on the other line and have always walked away with positive results. My advise, if you happen to be on the phone with one that is I'd say mediocre (I've read on these forums) or just don't catch your drift, call back and you'll get someone else on the call center if needed that may better suit your needs.

Quick background... I've tried to add my wife a number of times (via online only) as an "Authorized User". Now granted as you all know an authorized user means your arse is on the hook for every purchase this user makes and you are solely responsible for all of the charges made as it's your account afterall! A few days later the letter of denial.

My wife's credit is not bad today it's a point or two to the 700 club. She was steamrolled way back during the .dot house like some of you may have (freddie and fannie had a party on us!) but with her Amex account what happened then was they dropped her 15K CL during the time of need to something like in the tune of 2.5K so she was pissed! Anyway she had a yelling match with not so kind words with one of the CSR supervisors at the time but before they arm wrestled she paid off her entire balance (she was never late). For some reason I'm led to believe this is how she made it on the Amex S List and got stuck there and no one bothered or cared to look eversince?

Anyhow, I'm hoping to not "Add" to this thread as the cards with her as an auth user is underway.

Any of you guys ever experience anything like this? With my other cards it was as good as a done deal online...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Blacklisted Part 2?

What did the denial letter state when you attempted to add her?

Unfortunately, there will be instances in which a FI will not extend a business relationship with specific customers, whether it's associated with reputational risk, previous negative performance (C/O, IIB), etc. All perfectly legal within the boundaries of internal compliance.

So, if somehow she landed herself on a blacklist of some sort, then only time will tell when her name is purged from such list.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not 100% sure I’m following your question...but I’ll add my experience.

Dh & I were DC from BK13 in Mar 2017, I had Amex IIB, while DH did not. Amex gave dh a green card 3 mo’s post DC, followed by a BCE a month later. When dh tried to add me as an AU to the BCE upon card opening, I was denied due to previous account closure.

Fast forward 1 month, dh tried again to add me as AU and had success.

Since then he’s opened a ED and a Platinum. He attempted to add me as AU to Plat with a denial every time. The letters won’t give a reason but say AU should call for a reason. I have not called because I know what they will say.

So while I’m on the legit blacklist, they have partially given me AU access but are holding out on the Plat. Dh will keeping trying to add me every month, because you never know!
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply and yes your experience is somewhat similar with what's happened in terms of a denial letter and a number to call on the AU on a closed previous account. Crossing my fingers that the AU cards will actually get here in one piece.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The denial came in two ways after the online request it said something like Thank You for adding an AU unfortunately we can't grant your request at this time blah, blah, blah... The letters I've gotten with AU request were similar in bad news but one asked me to call them, and the other for her to call them to find out why she was denied. She didn't want to make the call at the time.

I totally agree with you she somehow landed herself on a some type of blacklist and maybe being an approved AU (so they say until I actually get the cards in her hands) will purge her off the list we're hoping.. Thanks for your feedback Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update! Just to validate your comment no go on the AU on all four counts. Even though CSR said "I see no flags or issues on my end everything went through" well it didn't. I'm willing to dole out the addt'l AFs if any or what not no biggie but I'm somewhat disappointed of this outcome. But I totally understand and accept the decision made by AMEX as this is not directly under my control. Had no issues with other FI's giving her the AU green light which I'm responsible for anyways. All the "thank you for your interest" letters for her to contact them directly to find out why. I've asked her to call to find out but that remains to be scene...

Message 6 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update! Just to validate your comment no go on the AU on all four counts. Even though CSR said "I see no flags or issues on my end everything went through" well it didn't. I'm willing to dole out the addt'l AFs if any or what not no biggie but I'm somewhat disappointed of this outcome. But I totally understand and accept the decision made by AMEX as this is not directly under my control. Had no issues with other FI's giving her the AU green light which I'm responsible for anyways. All the "thank you for your interest" letters for her to contact them directly to find out why. I've asked her to call to find out but that remains to be scene...

I had a similar experience with an AU, including the letter from Amex that the AU could call for an explanation.

A few months later I tried again, this time I didn't provide a SS# or DOB at the time of the request (there's an option to "provide later").  The card was mailed, and at activation the SS and DOB were required, but it was drama-free.  Notably, on my AU's Amex dashboard it shows her own (correct) 'member since' date.  Smiley Wink

That was a year ago, and things are still fine.  This might not work for everyone, but it has worked for several of us who found ourselves in the situation you describe.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this tip! It maybe a little too late for this but most def. good to know..

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.