Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Denial.

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Denial.

@ccnewcc wrote:

I don't hate Amex.  Notice how I told OP to recon for Amex.  I do hate AFs tho.

What I don't like is that ppl give advice that hurt ppl on this forum when we really don't know what will really happen when some trys to PC or apply.  

In the end you should never call people "suckers" for paying a high annual fee. Many people think the same but never really study the benefits of cards with annual fees. 

Like Blue Cash  Everyday $0 annual vs Blue Cash Preferred $75 annual

The numbers are also based off $6,000 new cap limit on grocery purchases next year due to people abusing the privledge with gift card purchases (6% on everything)

I got the annual fee version cause my parents own business in the food industry, we regularly shop at local grocery in binds, plus regular food costs we would greatly out weight the annual fee.

Do the calculations and annual fees can be worth WAY more than their weight. Personally a person should ALWAYS crunch numbers before applying for ANY card with or without annual fees. Personally I don't see any reason to have 10+ credit cards. I don't even see a real reason to get a 5% Gas card in my situation because

I get 6% gas on Freedom categories by transfering freedom to chase and use it for travel 6 months out of the year and BCP does 3% all year so that averages to 4.5% which is good enough for me since having another card won't save me much.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 31 of 51
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

For the record. I think charge cards are an excellent way to train yourself in responsible charge usage. I received my AF back after 2 months of using my card. Also have gone from over $600 in overdraft fees to a big fat zero Smiley Happy

The ability to manage my cash flow and float an unlimited amount (NPSL) work expenses without affecting utilization is priceless.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 32 of 51
distantarray
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
For the record. I think charge cards are an excellent way to train yourself in responsible charge usage. I received my AF back after 2 months of using my card. Also have gone from over $600 in overdraft fees to a big fat zero Smiley Happy

The ability to manage my cash flow and float an unlimited amount (NPSL) work expenses without affecting utilization is priceless.

Personally I wish ALL credit cards were CHARGE cards, if there was nothing else then a LOT less people would be wary of spending beyond their limits, instead of 20-30% APR going to credit card companies the average person would have access to that instead. 

I would love to see a new law pass that allows 15-17 year olds to be able to apply for CHARGE cards to help train them for responsible usage of CREDIT cards.  Regardless whatever you have Charge cards or Credit cards revolvers or whatever you like to call it you should NEVER EVER spend more than you can pay off.

Message 33 of 51
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

Personally I wish ALL credit cards were CHARGE cards, if there was nothing else then a LOT less people would be wary of spending beyond their limits, instead of 20-30% APR going to credit card companies the average person would have access to that instead. 

I would love to see a new law pass that allows 15-17 year olds to be able to apply for CHARGE cards to help train them for responsible usage of CREDIT cards.  Regardless whatever you have Charge cards or Credit cards revolvers or whatever you like to call it you should NEVER EVER spend more than you can pay off.

Having a charge card does not stop you from buying more than you can pay off. The only difference is that the card will be closed and then you are left with nothing just because you ran into an emergency. I personally do not ever revolve a balance, but think the option should be there for people that do. I really wonder how people get themselves into a bad credit situation. I was never tempted to spend more than I could pay off when I first got a credit card at 19. At 20 I decided to finance a watch for twelve months and no interest. I even paid it off five months early.

Really, credit is just common sense. Pay on time and do not spend more than you can pay off. I do not believe anyone under 18 should be able to get a card of their own. If they default it would go to the parents and if I was a parent I would not be happy about that. A contract is not enforceable for someone under 18, so they would really have no obligation to pay anything.

Charge cards are just not for me as I am a sucker for zero interest periods. Especially with a new business; being able to get inventory and not have to pay it off right away is nice. I also like the fact of knowing exactly what the limit on the card is, and I like for other lenders to know. You may be able to spend 50000 on a charge card but with no limit reporting another lender will not know that. If the high balance was only $1000 sometimes that may be misunderstood as the limit. I am not just speaking of American Express charge cards, others like Chase and US Bank are the same.

Message 34 of 51
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

65$ a week on Gas?  That's insane.  Thats equalivant to drving over 1,200 miles a month.

65 a wk * 4 weeks a month = $260 a month gas bill

260 / $4.50 a gallon (about avg price of one of the highest places in the country for gas HI) = 57.7 Gallons of gas

57.7 Gallons of gas * 21 MPG (typicall avg for cars these days) = 1,213 Miles.

1,213 miles driven per month seems extreme and most likely unrealistic for most ppl.

Message 35 of 51
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

65$ a week on Gas?  That's insane.  Thats equalivant to drving over 1,200 miles a month.

260 / $4.50 a gallon (about avg price of one of the highest places in the country for gas HI) = 57.7 Gallons of gas

57.7 Gallons of gas / 21 MPG (typicall avg for cars these days) = 1,213 Miles.

1,213 miles driven per month seems extreme and most likely unrealistic for most ppl.

my white car fills up with $70 premium and it only lasts me 4 days. truck fills with 95 regular and lasts me a week.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 36 of 51
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Distantarray +99999999999999

Btw I do believe young people under 18 should be able to get their own credit cards. Not everyone is irresponsible. I've been taking care of my family's financial decisions since I was 9,10 and had to wait to be 18 to get my own credit card ffs.

A good way would be to give everyone the option to get a credit card they can use at young age, even with toy limit. Say since you turn 15. Keep it in good standing and when you are 18 and with a job, close it, pc it to a real card depending on your income and spending patterns.

Starting at 18 with the world turning its back on you sucks and not everyone should go through that.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 37 of 51
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My husband and I spend about 900 per month on gas. That's real..... I don't know how much more realistic you can get.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 38 of 51
distantarray
Established Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

57.7 Gallons of gas / 21 MPG (typicall avg for cars these days) = 1,213 Miles.

I don't know if you realize  according to the national average reported by Department of Transportation the average driver in America drives about 13,500 miles a year which is about what you claim is "extreme and most likely unrealistic" 

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

1,213 x 12 = 14,556 miles a year. 12-15k miles is considered normal.  I drive a Lexus IS and it's not a SUV or a Truck and I spend about that driving back and forth to work and going out on the weekends.

Message 39 of 51
alboto
Regular Contributor

$65 a week in gas is nothing.
Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.