Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card question

Hello,

I've had this card for a year now as of Feb 2019 and it's time for a cli. Well when I checked my account online yesterday their was an offer attached saying I could upgrade to the Blue Cash Preferred. Since I'm wanting to request an increase should I wait and upgrade first and then request CLI or request it first on my Everyday clear and then upgrade after? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Clear Cash Everyday Card question

Dors the upgrade help you or benefit you? I dont think timing will matter. Remember a cli approval will reset clock 6 months anyway.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i think the preferred card will yield  me more cash back versus my current card. Thanks for the CLI timing info.

Message 3 of 15
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes i think the preferred card will yield  me more cash back versus my current card. Thanks for the CLI timing info.

Welcome to the Fourms!

Upgrade offers and CLI don't have anything in common. Amex doesn't usually give an auto CLI when you upgrade your account. It's just an AF increase offer to a "better" card type.

You can ask for a CLI every 181 days if approved or 91 days if denied. This applies to ALL amex accounts.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I've had this card for a year now as of Feb 2019 and it's time for a cli. Well when I checked my account online yesterday their was an offer attached saying I could upgrade to the Blue Cash Preferred. Since I'm wanting to request an increase should I wait and upgrade first and then request CLI or request it first on my Everyday clear and then upgrade after? 

Just for clarity, by "Clear Cash Everyday" you mean "Blue Cash Everyday" (just the card is clear!)?  There is an Amex Clear card that probably wasn't available by Feb 2018 (and can't be PCd according to a recent thread)

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about that. Yes its the Blue Cash Everyday card.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bear in mind the BCP has a $95 Annual Fee

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I thought long and hard about it and thought I would benefit from the reward.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bear in mind that, for the grocery category, $61 a week is your break even point with the BCP vs the BCE assuming you use it all year. If you have a Chase Freedom or Discover It that offers a quarter of 5% grocery cash back, you would be looking at around $80 a week of use for the rest of the year just to break even. If you meet or exceed that, or the other perks make up the difference, then it may be worth it.

Message 9 of 15
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card question

If the "upgrade" doesn't include the sign up bonus, I would pass and just apply separately. The preferred card does have an annual fee, but if you're buying groceries for a family, it's a windfall and pays for itself easily.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/american-express-blue-cash-preferred

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.