cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Preferred no longer offering 3% cash back at select Department Stores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Blue Cash Preferred no longer offering 3% cash back at select Department Stores?

Well, you may be right, but this is what I was told.

I guess we have to wait and see . . .

Message 11 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash Preferred no longer offering 3% cash back at select Department Stores?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an update after talking to a supervisor (in U.S.) at AMEX.

The reason that reference to the department store categories is gone is because it stipulated that the rebate is at "select" department stores.

The category (2% on BC Everday and 3% on BCP) is still given, but it seems that AMEX wants to pick and choose when and where they give it.

I know that whenever I shopped at Carson's (part of Bon Ton) I would only get 1% because it was not coded as "Bon Ton."

That's the latest. I guess that some of you will be happy, but before you go to a certain store, if you care enough, call AMEX and ask if that store is honored. 

Too much work for me.

Sorry I don't understand this at all - Amex has always provided a clear list of the specific department stores that qualify. Apologies if I"m not allowed to link it, but you can find the list here :

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/rewards-info/retail.html

So the reasoning of that supervisor makes no sense to me. They already are very clear about where you can get the bonus.

I highly doubt they want to honor it (or not) on a case by case basis. That's too much effort for them for little to no reason. Either keep the benefit or drop it. But they have never been unclear about which stores qualify.

That being said they are no longer advertising the benefit on the BCP so I don't see them having to honor it. But on BCE they do still advertise it.

Message 12 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Sorry I don't understand this at all - Amex has always provided a clear list of the specific department stores that qualify. Apologies if I"m not allowed to link it, but you can find the list here :

On that list, I love:

You will earn additional rewards in the restaurant category when you purchase at restaurants located in the U.S.

You will NOT earn additional rewards for purchases made at a restaurant owned by a U.S. company but located outside the U.S. (e.g. Hard Rock Café in Paris).

On the assumption that things get added for a reason, I guess Amex had someone claiming that they should get credit at American chains abroad or something.  

The lists use "located in the US" for everything, whereas I think at one stage the language was more "US Supermarkets" etc.
Message 13 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

DoC is now reporting this change for new applicants as well:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-blue-cash-preferred-no-longer-earns-3-cash-back-at-d...

I'm eager to see if Amex replies to his inquiry regarding what is planned for existing cardholders. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

On that list, I love:

You will earn additional rewards in the restaurant category when you purchase at restaurants located in the U.S.

You will NOT earn additional rewards for purchases made at a restaurant owned by a U.S. company but located outside the U.S. (e.g. Hard Rock Café in Paris).

On the assumption that things get added for a reason, I guess Amex had someone claiming that they should get credit at American chains abroad or something.  

The lists use "located in the US" for everything, whereas I think at one stage the language was more "US Supermarkets" etc.

Seems strange it is limited to US restaurants.  NFCU Go Rewards doesn't limit you and it doesn't have an annual fee.  I don't really get this card as why have annual fee for a cash back card with categories when there are a ton of cards out there that reward you on categories and don't have annual fee and the low limit on groceries stores to boot. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like it was said before, make sure you read all the term + offers of the card you're signing up for before actually hitting apply so you know what you're getting. I normally take a picture with my phone of the terms + of the page saying that I am getting the SUB that is being shown to me, you know, just in case haha!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.