Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash Preferred or Amex Costco True Earnings

tag
timmis

Amex Blue Cash Preferred or Amex Costco True Earnings

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some of you opions. I recently got married and am looking for a good card to get cash back on groceries because I have noticed each trip to the grocery store cost over $200 so mine as well earn some cash back with that!

I have my eyes on two cards: The Costco True Earnings or Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

I like the 6% cash back at grocery stores on the blue cash preferred and also like the 3% cash back at Costco!

So I am really torn between the 2 cards!

Any opinions!

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Blue Cash Preferred or Amex Costco True Earnings

It will really depends on how much shopping you do at Costco.

Edit: typo
Message 2 of 9
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@timmis wrote:

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some of you opions. I recently got married and am looking for a good card to get cash back on groceries because I have noticed each trip to the grocery store cost over $200 so mine as well earn some cash back with that!

I have my eyes on two cards: The Costco True Earnings or Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

I like the 6% cash back at grocery stores on the blue cash preferred and also like the 3% cash back at Costco!

So I am really torn between the 2 cards!

Any opinions!

Thanks

With the Costco TE card, you're only getting 3% on gas purchases at Costco (as well as other gas stations).  In-store purchases at Costco still only give you 1%, which is the same as the BCP.  So if you're spending $200 per trip to the grocery store (not Costco, Wallys or Target, as you only get the base 1% at those stores), the BCP is the way to go.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 9
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Which grocery stores do you do the most shopping?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 9
mgeorges
Valued Member

We mostly shop at Kroger or Meijers. We sometimes shop at Costco but when we do its for meats and toiletry items. 

Message 5 of 9
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Sounds like BCP might best fit your spending as far as rewards go.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 9
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

I agree with everyone's suggestion on the BCP; however, since they are both cash back cards, would you mind having both? The annual fee is non-existent on the TE because I assume you will keep your membership even if you we're to get the BCP. Then, with the BCP the annual fee is taken care of with the sign up bonus originally and then the grocery store 6% after that (assuming you spend more than $1,300 outside of Costco on groceries per year).

Also, something to note, Meijer is a hit or miss with Amex. For some, it is considered a grocery store and others not. It has come up as a grocery store on mine; however some at FlyerTalk have found otherwise. Not sure if it is because of a gas station attached or not??!
Message 8 of 9
JonStur
Established Contributor

I have the Costco and the BCE...if nothing else having both with their 3X CLI seems worth it...and Costco is like SAMs Club for snobs...(although I have a Sam's Discover, and a BJ's membership. Addicted to club shopping without all the cookouts and such that I have)

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.