Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash approved

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Amex Blue Cash approved

I guess Amex is starting to loosen up the flow of credit a little bit. After giving me a CLI on my Clear they approved me for a Blue Cash. My CL is $2000. Not bad considering they wouldn't give me a CLI at all 6 months ago.

I figured since they backdate the history, there wasn't any harm in opening this. I think I might be able to make a nice little bit of cash back should I be able to get the 5% back tier. 

Here we go again...
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash approved

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

I guess Amex is starting to loosen up the flow of credit a little bit. After giving me a CLI on my Clear they approved me for a Blue Cash. My CL is $2000. Not bad considering they wouldn't give me a CLI at all 6 months ago.

I figured since they backdate the history, there wasn't any harm in opening this. I think I might be able to make a nice little bit of cash back should I be able to get the 5% back tier. 

Did you get a second card or is this a product change?

Message 2 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

This was a new card. My third Amex. I have the Gold Premier Rewards charge card (my primary) that I just upgraded my normal Gold card to, the Clear, and now the Blue Cash!
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
This was a new card. My third Amex. I have the Gold Premier Rewards charge card (my primary) that I just upgraded my normal Gold card to, the Clear, and now the Blue Cash!

I started with a Blue card in August and quickly did a PC to Blue Cash in October.  I got a CLI too.  

Message 4 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

I started with a Blue card in August and quickly did a PC to Blue Cash in October.  I got a CLI too.  

How has the cash back program worked out for you so far with the Blue Cash? Are you happy with it? Does the unlimited 5% ever pay off well? I noticed it's limited to their predefined category of "every day" purchases. Gas was one of them, but my Discover Open Road gets 5% cash back on gas, so I doubt I would switch from it for gas except for when I exceed $100 monthly in gas purchases, per the cap on the Open Road. 

Here we go again...
Message 5 of 9
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Fretless, I don't mean to rain on your parade but the Discover Open Road does not offer 5% cash back on gas anymore.  You might want to read your change in terms letter.  Discover discontinued the card a few months ago and changed the cashback from 5% to 2%.  I received a letter a few months ago about it.  If it hasn't happened to you then great.  Once I received the letter I did a PC from the Open Road to the More card. 

In terms of the Blue Cash, you really have to spend a lot of money to get to the 5% tier.  I found the CHase Freedom to be better for me in regards to cashback.  I'm averaging about 2% cashback on the Freedom.  When I use to use the AMEX Blue Cash almost exclusively I was getting somewhere around 1.5% cashback. 

Message 6 of 9
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Fretless, I hope my response didn't come across rude.  I'm a little bitter about the Discover change since I got the card to use exclusively for my car. 
Message 7 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@DI wrote:

How has the cash back program worked out for you so far with the Blue Cash? Are you happy with it? Does the unlimited 5% ever pay off well? I noticed it's limited to their predefined category of "every day" purchases. Gas was one of them, but my Discover Open Road gets 5% cash back on gas, so I doubt I would switch from it for gas except for when I exceed $100 monthly in gas purchases, per the cap on the Open Road. 

I only use the AMEX card to pay my $50 gym dues.  I'm not a good cardholder to answer your questions.

Message 8 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Romeoo47 wrote:

Fretless, I don't mean to rain on your parade but the Discover Open Road does not offer 5% cash back on gas anymore.  You might want to read your change in terms letter.  Discover discontinued the card a few months ago and changed the cashback from 5% to 2%.  I received a letter a few months ago about it.  If it hasn't happened to you then great.  Once I received the letter I did a PC from the Open Road to the More card. 

Sorry for the confusion. I forgot about that. I got that letter a little while back too. However, I believe it was 2% back on the first $250 instead of 5% on the first $100, so the total cashback per month should stay the same if maxed out, at $5 total bonus a month. 

Then again, I don't think I spend $250 a month on gas. I didn't think about that. I spend about $40 a week.

Here we go again...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.