Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue Cash vs Blue Cash Everyday?

tag
vpae
Established Contributor

Amex Blue Cash vs Blue Cash Everyday?

Hi everyone,

I was looking at my rewards for my card yesterday and compare it to other Amex cards and noticed that I have a Blue Cash that I opened in 2010. Comparing it to the existing card line up, there appears to be a Blue Cash Everyday and the Blue Cash Preferred, difference being the BCP has an Annual Fee and the rewards earnings are different.

My card offers 5% cash back on gas, grocery and drugstore and 1% everywhere else but that's only if I spend $6,500 in a calendar year to qualify. Otherwise I only get 1% at gas, grocery and drugstore and 0.5% everywhere else. Does the BCE have this spending requirement before you get 3% back on grocery, 2% on gas and 1% everywhere else?

I'm thinking about doing a PC to the BCE. If I did, will this interfere with my 3x CLI when I reach my 181 days? I had my last CLI back in April. 

Thanks!

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex Blue Cash vs Blue Cash Everyday?

BCP/BCE don't have this threshold requirement, they start that 1/2/3 or 1/3/6 earning from the first $ spent.  However, the highest earnings, the 3 or 6% is capped, on the first $6K a year.

So depending on your spend, the old blue can be much more valuable.   And no drugstore coverage with the BCP/BCE, although you do get "select department stores"

And the 5% on gas is better than either card.

If you do switch, go for the BCP rather than the BCE, as you can buy giftcards at the supermarket and get 6% off, more than making up for the AF, even if your real "grocery" spend is not that much.

But check your current spending.  Keeping the Blue might be a much better idea.

Message 2 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And if you are willing to be a little on the edge, $6,500 spending is just 13 VR purchases, costing ~ $50, and getting $65 back.

Message 3 of 5
vpae
Established Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, I will crunch some numbers to see what makes more sense!

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 4 of 5
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Also, I believe your old points from the Blue would expire if you choose to PC. So make sure you use them before you switch.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.