Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blue to get Bonus Later

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Blue to get Bonus Later

So when its time, I want to get in with Amex with what would be a fairly thin profile, scores over 700. I was wondering is it just "a thing" to get the Blue Card (or any without a bonus) to get your feet wet with them and still save your sign up bonus for other cards in the future?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Blue to get Bonus Later

If your EX FICO 08 score is over 700, you likely won't have an issue being approved for any Amex card.  Getting a card with no welcome offer only prevents you from being eligible on the same card in the future and has no bearing on other cards.  For most people, "getting in with Amex by any means necessary" isn't a good solution since you could likely choose the card that best fits your spending and lifestyle.  An exception to that might be people with a score in the mid-600s where a Delta Gold SkyMiles often seems to have more relaxed underwriting requirements.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check Amex Prequalify, it may surprise you. Amex is fairly easy to get approve for. My father was approved for the Hilton Honors card with SUB and $2k SL with 2 months of credit history and no FICO score. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I thought it was across the board for sign up offers.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the Blue Cash Everyday with thin profile and little credit history (~1year). Like the others said, Amex is pretty generous.

Message 5 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So when its time, I want to get in with Amex with what would be a fairly thin profile, scores over 700. I was wondering is it just "a thing" to get the Blue Card (or any without a bonus) to get your feet wet with them and still save your sign up bonus for other cards in the future?

My first card was a Premier Rewards Gold charge card (now equivalent to Amex Gold). Three months after opening it, I applied for a Blue Cash Everyday. I had the idea that I could use an Amex, but didn't want to be locked into an AF. It wasn't totally a baseless idea at the time, as I wanted a card with a good extended warranty and one I could be comfortable using with questionable merchants.

Sometimes it has less to do with strategy and more to do with imprecise gut instincts. Some people imagine an aura around Amex but are wary of travel points and annual fees, so they opt for a no-AF cash back card.

With experience, as well as changes to the cards and their associated benefits, I have a more cynical attitude. I would say that with the exception of Blue Business Plus, if you're not paying an AF for your Amex, you're probably not getting anything particularly useful.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 14
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My first card was a Premier Rewards Gold charge card (now equivalent to Amex Gold). Three months after opening it, I applied for a Blue Cash Everyday. I had the idea that I could use an Amex, but didn't want to be locked into an AF. It wasn't totally a baseless idea at the time, as I wanted a card with a good extended warranty and one I could be comfortable using with questionable merchants.

Sometimes it has less to do with strategy and more to do with imprecise gut instincts. Some people imagine an aura around Amex but are wary of travel points and annual fees, so they opt for a no-AF cash back card.

With experience, as well as changes to the cards and their associated benefits, I have a more cynical attitude. I would say that with the exception of Blue Business Plus, if you're not paying an AF for your Amex, you're probably not getting anything particularly useful.

I tend to agree, although a card like BCE isn't terrible. That said, in 2 months I've earned $89 on gas and groceries on my BCP, which more than justifies the $95 AF.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $578,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 14
nastalgia
Valued Member

I just did a pre-qual with Amex for the hell of it reading through this thread and holy smokes I was pre-qual for 3 cards,  Amex Everday card, Amex Everyday Prefered and Amex Blue card. I was hesitant to pull the trigger but the no AF for the Blue card and cash back was too good ro pass up. They pulled my EX FICO8 (713) which took a 2pt drop from 715 today from US Bank purchases in the last week.

I was approved for $2000 SL which is not much but I'm okay with it getting my feet in the Amex door. 

Message 8 of 14
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Congrats! That will 2K limit should grow rather quickly with a little time.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $578,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I have an 11k credit line at 0% interest till March 2020 and $225 back on my first $1000 spent. I consider that particularly useful. Smiley Wink 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.