Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CC Approval ?

tag
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

Amex CC Approval ?

I Currently have the ED Card from Amex with a SL of $12k and i decided to apply for the Blue Cash because im trying to reach the 100k Tier in overall CL and im like 6k away but something very weired happened i was approved and it didnt say for how much so i look at my account to see if it was added and it wasnt but my i noticed my available CL was lowered to $8k because i have a balance of a few hundreds dollars And i later find out on my email with the Cardmember Agreement my limit on the new card was $3.6k ?  So my total is 12k between both card but i dont understand why they give me another card but take CL from one to another.

Btw I called Amex and i couldnt get an answer and was told to call on monday, Has anyone experienced this before ?

FICO 08 Scores EX 624 EQ 631 TU 646, Goal 800+
11 REPLIES 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex CC Approval ?

@Albert_E63 wrote:

I Currently have the ED Card from Amex with a SL of $12k and i decided to apply for the Blue Cash because im trying to reach the 100k Tier in overall CL and im like 6k away but something very weired happened i was approved and it didnt say for how much so i look at my account to see if it was added and it wasnt but my i noticed my available CL was lowered to $8k because i have a balance of a few hundreds dollars And i later find out on my email with the Cardmember Agreement my limit on the new card was $3.6k ?  So my total is 12k between both card but i dont understand why they give me another card but take CL from one to another.

Btw I called Amex and i couldnt get an answer and was told to call on monday, Has anyone experienced this before ?

Unforunately, happens quite often with Amex -- and without explaining the process or getting your permission to move forward first.   If they don't feel comfortable extending more credit, but willing to give you an additional card,  they'll just move a portion of your other CL to the new account and say "Hey! Congrats! You're Approved!" rather than outright deny the additional card. 

Sorry, but also - congrats on the approval portion of it, I guess...  

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex isn't the only lender to automatically reallocate; Bank of America and others do it as well.  The reasoning is that they want to be able to give you the product you obviously wanted if you applied, but are unable to extend further credit to you.

Use the cards, pay them on time, and grow that Experian score and they can be quite generous.  In the meantime, if you need to adjust the limits between the cards you can do so yourself once every 30 days right in your online account.

Message 4 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approval 

If Amex didnt do reallocation, you would have recieved a denial. It worked out in your favor, and you also have the ability to reallocate CL between your accounts, I believe once a month. 

Message 5 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think you can reallocate once a month. There used to be some type of policy regarding the account(s) having to be a certain age but I have not heard much about that recently so they may have relaxed or eliminated the requirements.

Bank of America is another common lender to do this. When I got the Premium card back in March, they would not give me any additional credit.  They took it from my Cash Rewards which was fine with me, and I'd rather that than a hard pull and nothing to show for it.

Message 6 of 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes AMEX tends to do this, I wish they were like PENFED ( shhhh where's joe Smiley LOL ) they will ask you if you want to move your limit first, It's kinda your choice.

But better than a denial and they will grow.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 12
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Amex isn't the only lender to automatically reallocate; Bank of America and others do it as well.  The reasoning is that they want to be able to give you the product you obviously wanted if you applied, but are unable to extend further credit to you.

Use the cards, pay them on time, and grow that Experian score and they can be quite generous.  In the meantime, if you need to adjust the limits between the cards you can do so yourself once every 30 days right in your online account.

Do you know how long i gotta wait to request CLI since this my second card ? 

Message 8 of 12
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

Honestly i would of taken a denial instead of another card with portion of my current card, Im trying to reach the 100K tier ovarall CL.

Message 9 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Albert_E63 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Do you know how long i gotta wait to request CLI since this my second card ? 

61 days after approval, 91 days after being denied a CLI on any of your accounts, 181 days after being approved for a CLI on any of your accounts.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.