Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CC do NOT like minimum payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CC do NOT like minimum payments

Got my Amex paper statement today for my Blue and it has cardmember agreement changes- the biggest one is that it says if you pay the min payment too many times they can "up" the amount of the min payment- but something about it will only be for a six mos period and then they will stop if you start to pay more than min-

I have never paid min w/ Amex always more- just wanted to let folks out there know this cardmember change- I already shredded the change so can't write it verbatim but what I just posted is the gist-

Basically from my experience w/ Amex they always like more than the min payment- charge a decent amount, pay it off over time more than min...charge a decent amount, repeat the cycle and you can have decent CLI's if you follow that model...
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CC do NOT like minimum payments

I would rather see it spelled out in the T&Cs thanto have somerandom Adverse action without explanation.  At least they are giving their consumers a clear cut picture of how they want you to play the game.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's why I really like Amex. It was in bold type saying something like "Cardmember Agreement Change- effective Nov 07"

that is why I really like them...I just think they are on top of the ball...
Message 3 of 19
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

this is why once i get my great credit score back i will never carry amex again. they do whatever the hell they please.

DISCOVER rocks! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope you didn't have a bad experience w/ them- I love Amex. I think it is fair that they sent the info in the statement- and in bold print to draw my attention.

I have read things on this board about other actions of CC cos. doing stuff and the cardmember was never aware.

But I do agree w/ you also about Discover rocks. Amex and Discover are my favs. now.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a green amex card.  I don't see anything for minimum payments.  I just always thought you had the pay the whole thing in full every month.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

typist wrote:
I have a green amex card.  I don't see anything for minimum payments.  I just always thought you had the pay the whole thing in full every month.

the card you haveis not a credit but a charge card, reqiring payment in full on a monthly basis.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't the green a Charge Card and not a CC? Those you must PIF each month right? Although I read something on the board about the Gold Charge card adding the option of revolving some of your debt, however, for convenience, I would keep my charge cards- working like charge cards, and CC's like CC's. Wouldn't want to mix.

I watch everything down to the dime- but at this point in time in my life I am not to the level where a charge card fits in my life anyway.
Message 8 of 19
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

yes, i did have a bad experience with amex. i had 3 charge accts with them that had the revolving option. i always pd more than the minimum BUT received a letter after years of having this service saying to pay my balance at once and that i was no longer offered that option.

i couldnt pay all balances in 1 month, so the accts were "paid acct, was a charge-off" closed by consumer.

i learned a valuable lesson. (btw i had perfect history and had never been late before this)
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. What was their justification for this?
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.