Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLD. Ha.

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Amex CLD. Ha.

I got a nice email from Amex this morning informing me they dropped my CL. I can't believe they CLD'd my Clear from $8900 to $1000.

The CSR says it was a myriad of things. Some true, some unfounded. Oh well. 

I'm thinking of giving this card the axe. One year of PIF and I get a CLD. Awesome. 

Here we go again...
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex CLD. Ha.

Sorry FM. How much of the credit limit did you typically use every month? 
Message 2 of 32
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
Sorry FM. How much of the credit limit did you typically use every month? 

Not much on the Clear at all. In fact, I don't really care they did it. I put a couple plane tickets to Vegas on it before (PIF of course), and that was about it.

However, I use my Platinum card a lot. I gotta call back and see if they messed with it. The Clear CSR said they did not, but we'll see. 

Here we go again...
Message 3 of 32
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Ouch, I'm so sorry!

They're moving on through their customer base, it looks like.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 32
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened. However, at least they didn't touch my Platinum card. Still truely NPSSL.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess they are moving through their customer base. I received an email CLD notice on New Years Eve. In the summer I had a zero balance on a $6000.00 limit clear card. They sent me a good balance transfer offer and I accepted it transferring $5000.00. I've been paying down the balance ($100.00 + interest) each month and not using the card for purchases. My balance is $4500.00 and they lowered my limit to $4700.00. Since I plan to just pay the card down and not use it this is ok, but I know this will hurt my score. I'm also concerned that my other cards that I do use (Cap.1 and Chase) will do the same and that would be a problem. Hearing that they decreased you from $8900 to $1000 (yikes) also makes me wonder if they will keep decreasing my limit as I pay down the balance. Sorr
y you got that bad Amex CLD news too! 
Message 6 of 32
score_building
Senior Contributor

that bites, sorry to hear it!  my clear was/is being chased too but i've managed to keep them at bay for the past 7 or 8 months, so i am kinda hoping they've changed tactics and are not chasing to close.

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened.

care to share?  from your post it seems like a 'use it or lose it' cld.  mine appeared to be 'balances on other accounts' chase.  btw, did you find a HT to your liking? 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 32
kimg727
Established Member

Wow that sucks all the way around.  Sorry to hear it.

I just got nailed recently with a 10K CLD from my credit union MC that I have used forever.  The CLD was totally without merit but it pissed me off.  

I'm waiting for my CLD from Am X.  I haven't been hit yet but from what I've been hearing, it's just a matter of time.  

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost an $8000 decrease.  That is messed up.

The thing is, they decrease you  based on their "findings" and then say it will be reviewed again in a couple months...possibly raise the limit back (yeah right!)  but your score will (possibly) be even lower because of the chunk taken out of your utilization.

When I got my Amex, I dropped three lower limit cards that when combined equalled the new amex's limit.  My total available credit stayed nearly the same. Score was the same.  But now it isn't and my recent amex decrease (way less than yours, $2500) has lowered my score.  Do they factor in that THEY are the ones that lowered your score when they do their "reviews"?  Regardless, I have a $500 limit card that has a $0 balance on it now...as soon as even the slightest  tap on the shoulder comes from that dinosaur company...it's cancelled.  I know it's only a $500 limit card, they could care less possibly, but I wouldn't put it past them to FR me.  

Actually, just writing this post, I'm cancelling the card Monday.  Bye Amex.  Bye headaches.  By worrying.  Bye CLD's.  Bye liars.  Bye dinosaur company that treats customers like crap.  Byeeeeeee! 

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah....and bye bye card that is accepted in only about half of the places I have tried to use it.  Crap company.

The nutrition store:  "Oh sorry, we don't take Amex....only Visa, Mastercard and Discover".

The nursery :  "Oh sorry, we don't take Amex....only Visa, Mastercard and Discover".

My gym:  "Oh sorry, we don't take Amex....only Visa, Mastercard and Discover".

The Pizza place near my house :  "Oh sorry, we don't take Amex....only Visa, Mastercard and Discover". 

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 01-03-2009 02:32 PM
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.