Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLD and CL Reinstatement Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CLD and CL Reinstatement Approval

Last Monday I recieved an alert from AMEX about hitting my limit on Amex my Hilton Surpass. I was somewhat confused because this card had a 5800 CL, and I had just pulled it out of the sock drawer the Friday before. AMEX hit me with a CLD, $5800 down to $2700. Spent about 2400 in about 3-4 days so I thought it was because of unusual activity in such a short time. So on Wednesday (3/24) I got an notification to log into my account for the reason for the decrease. 

The reason for the the decrease was becasuse my "trended/trending balances for the last 2-3 months was too high. I went from a 9% or about an avg monthly of 2k-4k to a UTI of 31% or 16K. Mainly due to saving 90% of all incoming income for the last 6 months to finish saving early for our downpayment. We're FHA with a 3.5% DP but we wanted to avoid PMI, so we came up with the 20%.

Did some research and found that AMEX is inclined to reinstate limits if you give them a call. So yesterday (3/27) I gave them a call and the CSR said there are two options; basically said if I make a $500 payment they will reinstate the $5800 CL or submit  documentation for an IV. Since I already had a pending payment of $1300, I went with the "$500" payment option. CSR looked up the pending payment and approved the CL to go back to were is was!

I asked would this affect me getting any CLI's in the (near)future? She said no, but I should wait until the balance restores, usually on the next bill cycle. In my case, this is about 30 days since mine had just closed 3/26. Just glad they only decreased the limit instead of just closing out all accounts like Synchrony did for the same reason.

9 REPLIES 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex CLD and CL Reinstatement Approval

Congratulations on your CL reinstatement!

Message 2 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

There's a solid group in these forums that over time have managed to pinpoint them to almost every variable possible with data points or results to back it up. I was never one of them nor likely ever will be. Way too unpredictable for my peon brain as well as the blueprint of their many parts they entail to build with them to reap profits and stay even keel to their satisfaction.

Congratulations to you for getting reinstated and staying part of their ever constant vectors to mainstain good status. Not for me that's sure.

Message 3 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on getting your CL back!!! ...

Message 4 of 10
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Good on you for getting the CL re-instated!

I'm curious what you think triggered Amex.  What amount or percentage I mean.  Was the 31% utilization you mentioned just on Amex cards?  I guess I'm wondering if you crossed their 30% threshhold.  Or, was that 31% utilization across all your cards?

The one Amex card you mentioned would have hit 40%+, when they did the CLD, right?  Is there some internal trigger you hit or were the bots watching all charges you made over the past few months?  "Trending" takes on a whole new meaning to me if thats the case.  When we added onto our garage last summer we charged some hefty percentages onto DH's cards.  Mostly 0 percent cards of course.  No repercutions.  Maybe that's expected when you use promos or new cards.  We of course also set up hefty monthly repayment schedules on all of them.  But, they didn't know our plan until we started repaying.  

Thinking back, I did call one of the banks asking if we needed to let them know a big spend was coming.  They said no.  

Sorry if I'm making a big deal out of this but I want to understand the difference between "trending balances too high" and "normal" use of cards when making large purchases.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 5 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your CL reinstatement!

|  
Message 6 of 10
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!  Congratulations on your reinstatement!! Glad that worked for you!! 🎉🥂

Message 7 of 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@KatSoDak wrote:

Good on you for getting the CL re-instated!

I'm curious what you think triggered Amex.  What amount or percentage I mean.  Was the 31% utilization you mentioned just on Amex cards?  I guess I'm wondering if you crossed their 30% threshhold.  Or, was that 31% utilization across all your cards?

The one Amex card you mentioned would have hit 40%+, when they did the CLD, right?  Is there some internal trigger you hit or were the bots watching all charges you made over the past few months?  "Trending" takes on a whole new meaning to me if thats the case.  When we added onto our garage last summer we charged some hefty percentages onto DH's cards.  Mostly 0 percent cards of course.  No repercutions.  Maybe that's expected when you use promos or new cards.  We of course also set up hefty monthly repayment schedules on all of them.  But, they didn't know our plan until we started repaying.  

Thinking back, I did call one of the banks asking if we needed to let them know a big spend was coming.  They said no.  

Sorry if I'm making a big deal out of this but I want to understand the difference between "trending balances too high" and "normal" use of cards when making large purchases.

While your actual FICO scores do not yet use "trending" data in their mixture, you better believe all of your FIs look at your profile and take note from every SP they do. They use their own proprietary risk assessment algorithms to determine their decisions. In this case, since OP's actual usage % wasn't necessarily at an unacceptable range, the computer was likely calculating raw balances on both AMEX and other accounts and decided that it crossed one of their own internal thresholds. I'm sure that threshold can vary greatly from one SP to the next and looks different for each individual. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 8 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

While trended data is currently not included in scoring algorithm, TD is offered by all three major CRAs as a separate product.

Amex and NFCU would be a couple of examples where TD is used, extrapolated either by their proprietary algorithm or acquired through CRAs.

It's not about reported utilization during a single month, it's about the rise in utilization and balances not going down at reasonable rate (based on their internal criteria). 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KatSoDak 

IMO, I think most creditors are now on the new FICO model that watches trailing data for the last 12-24 months. My overall UTI on all of my cards combined was 31% for about 4/5 days. I was essentially 88% on the Surpass when they made the cut. I was told on the secured msg that my account was up for review and that essentailly my "trailing utilization had trended up too fast". 

To be honest I think it was a combination of everything

Synchrony closed all 6 of DW accounts (60k worth of credit) because she had 6 account limit is 5 (according to CSR) so that shot up UTI

Had not used any Amex cards for the last 4 months (except low $ subscriptions for the statement credits) - so low usasge

Spent 1500 on the first day out of the sock drawer

My trending data was:

2-3 months: UTI went from 10-12% to 31% (saving all cash for closing)

3-6 months: UTI bounced between 7-9%

6-12 months: UTI bounced between 3-7%

12-24 months: UTI was always under 2%

It grauadlly crepted up due to the saving which is what I expected...the Synchrony closings was not. I am not sure what triggers things now with the trended/trailing data. In my case it makes sense due to the factors that happened in succession, percfect storm type of situation.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.