cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI Denied - Should I Bother with Recon?

tag
BlueHusky
Contributor

Amex CLI Denied - Should I Bother with Recon?

So I have pretty good credit, latest Wal-mart FICO from a few days is 770. No lates, income a little over $50K (I'm young and just starting out)

Most cards are in the $2,000-$3,000 range with CLs, because I've never requested a CLI on any of them. My most recent card, Amex Blue Cash, started with a $12,500 limit, which was very high compared to my others when I got it about 8 months ago.

A few days ago, I decided to apply for a CLI on my Amex because I just wanted to see if my high credit score would allow me to go higher and Amex was the only way I could test it without a hard pull (I've been told they do soft pulls only for CLIs). I requested 20K, and was denied due to "income too low for requested limit." Honestly, I kind of agree, and if I recon'd I'd have no real good reason as to why I really need the 20K limit, I just kind of wanted to try. So my questions are:

1. Should I do the recon? Does having high limits really matter? I don't plan to ever put $20K on my card in one month anyway (I PIF each month).

2. Did it hurt anything to be denied for the CLI? Could Amex lower my limit or close my account now?

3. Could it have been a hard pull anyway?

Starting Score: 583 (CreditKarma, 2009)
Current Score: 783 (Walmart Free FICO, March 20, 2012), 774 (Equifax, BoA Pull, 2/20/13)
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex CLI Denied - Should I Bother with Recon?

1.  High limits beget high limits, they make it easier to control utilization, etc.  So there are benefits.  But if you are just starting out making $50K and have a $12,500 limit already, I say that is pretty good.  I probably wouldn't recon it, but there's no harm in doing so.

2.  It did not hurt anything to be denied the CLI.  I can't imagine Amex taking AA against you.

3.  Highly doubt it was a hard pull. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

1. Not really necessary to do the recon. You didn't have to burn a hard pull and you already expressed you really had no need.  12,500 CL is pretty good for a starting limit and your income.

2. Didn't hurt a thing to request or be denied for gthe CLI (wouldn't hurt to recon for that matter)

3. Based on my understanding it was definately a soft pull.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 3 of 7
android01
Valued Contributor

You were honest about your income, and your current CL is justified based on your income.  CLI's are some sort of magic goal which most people never use anyway, other than to manipulate FICO scores, or for ego gratification.  There is no need to bother with recon.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 4 of 7
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Just for comparison, I earn a little less than the OP, and have a 17,300 credit limit on my AmEx Blue Cash Everyday card. My initial credit limit was 15,000. I was also denied on my first CLI request, but got approved on my second CLI request.

Message 5 of 7
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@BlueHusky wrote:

So I have pretty good credit, latest Wal-mart FICO from a few days is 770. No lates, income a little over $50K (I'm young and just starting out)

Most cards are in the $2,000-$3,000 range with CLs, because I've never requested a CLI on any of them. My most recent card, Amex Blue Cash, started with a $12,500 limit, which was very high compared to my others when I got it about 8 months ago.

A few days ago, I decided to apply for a CLI on my Amex because I just wanted to see if my high credit score would allow me to go higher and Amex was the only way I could test it without a hard pull (I've been told they do soft pulls only for CLIs). I requested 20K, and was denied due to "income too low for requested limit." Honestly, I kind of agree, and if I recon'd I'd have no real good reason as to why I really need the 20K limit, I just kind of wanted to try. So my questions are:

1. Should I do the recon? Does having high limits really matter? I don't plan to ever put $20K on my card in one month anyway (I PIF each month).

2. Did it hurt anything to be denied for the CLI? Could Amex lower my limit or close my account now?

3. Could it have been a hard pull anyway?

You might have to prove to AMEX that you can handle the current limit. Since they started you with a relatively high initial limit (mine was 2k, later was able to bump it up to 6k after 61 days) they might give you a higher limit after 6months. Just a thought from their perspective. 

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 6 of 7
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I would wait till you are eligible for another CLI that limit you have now is stellar. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.