Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI and AU

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Amex CLI and AU

I got an Delta Amex issued in Feb 2008 with a 3k limit and 668 Ex score (though they checked all 3 and Ex was highest.  Well, I'm heading back to get my MBA and wanted to Add my wife as AU on my card so we can maximize rewards (HHI is currently 150k but will be reduced to 70k in July)--wife has 770 credit.  Another piece of info is that I had an erroneous collection hit my Ex/Tu reports in March (they hit with 'customer dispute notes', but these were recently cleared from all reports--I hired a lawyer...collections went poof!)  Also, I had several baddies (all from ID theft, so cleared up others not) at the time Amex issued card.

So, I would like to have a 3k increase in conjunction with adding my wife. 
Quest. 1.)  Will adding my wife as AU decrease her score (since account is 4 months old)
Quest 2.)  Should I add AU and request CLI at the same time?
Quest 3.)  Should I add AU and wait another 3 months before CLI?

Just to note, I PIF every month.  Only let the balance hit the statement once (thought I need it to provoke them to report), but still PIF'd.

Message Edited by ChemGuy on 05-31-2008 08:56 PM

Message Edited by ChemGuy on 05-31-2008 08:57 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI and AU

You can add an AU anytime-

I would wait until the 6 month mark for the CLI (if you can)

Ask for 9K
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

ChemGuy wrote:

So, I would like to have a 3k increase in conjunction with adding my wife. 
Quest. 1.)  Will adding my wife as AU decrease her score (since account is 4 months old)
Quest 2.)  Should I add AU and request CLI at the same time?
Quest 3.)  Should I add AU and wait another 3 months before CLI?

1) Yes, it will affect her average age of accounts as well as the "new credit" category, and with a score in the 770s, it will most likely lower it.

2) and 3)  I agree with Timothy.  Wait until August or so before requesting a CLI, regardless of whether you add your DW now or later.  You can add her anytime you want.

Make sure you get the 2,500 bonus Skymiles for adding an AU!

Message 3 of 6
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  My wife certainly doesn't need the card, but I wanted to add her so that would could have a 'house' credit card.  Additionally, I also thought that adding her would be like insurance for the credit increase request. 
Message 4 of 6
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

So, I called today to add my wife and, surprisingly, the only information they requested was her date of birth.  The representative was very cordial and made light of my knowledge of my wife's birthday.  Anyway, I should have used the moment of levity to make the CLI request; I'm sure the laughs would have died right then! 

Anyway, is it odd for Delta Sky Amex to not request SSN for AU?  Note that I used the words, "I'd like to add my wife to my account."
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added my AU's online-

I think it asked for SSN's and DOB online.

ChemGuy wrote:
So, I called today to add my wife and, surprisingly, the only information they requested was her date of birth.  The representative was very cordial and made light of my knowledge of my wife's birthday.  Anyway, I should have used the moment of levity to make the CLI request; I'm sure the laughs would have died right then! 

Anyway, is it odd for Delta Sky Amex to not request SSN for AU?  Note that I used the words, "I'd like to add my wife to my account."

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.