Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Cash Magnet UPGRADED to Blue Cash Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Cash Magnet UPGRADED to Blue Cash Preferred

I called Amex to ask a question about my BONVOY card, and when the Rep finished answering that, he said I was eligable for an instant upgrade on my CASH MAGNET card, up to the BLUE CASH PREFERRED. He even said I could have the bonus offer where if I spend $1000 within the first 3 months, I'd get a $250 credit. I acdepted the offer, and the new card in on the way !!!

I got my CASH MAGNET a year ago last December, with a low SL of only $1000.  The Rep didn't mention anything about me getting an CLI along with this upgrade to the BCP card, and I did not want to ask him because I didn't want him to end up asking me income questions in order to get the CLI. My income in much lower now since when I got the card.  I figure I will just wait to see if they give my CLI on their own...lol

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Cash Magnet UPGRADED to Blue Cash Preferred

Congrats on the BCP upgrade and the SUB as well.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice card for grocery spend for sure! Throw is some nice Amex offers from time to time and it makes for a solid card. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully when my Cash Magnet hits 1 y/o I’ll get the same upgrade offer. I haven’t used the magnet but 2-3 times since I’ve gotten it.

Congrats on the Upgrade !!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hopefully when my Cash Magnet hits 1 y/o I’ll get the same upgrade offer. I haven’t used the magnet but 2-3 times since I’ve gotten it.

Congrats on the Upgrade !!

Thanks.!   I would recommend using the card as much as possible to build up the good spend & pay history.  Even though I only have that low $1000 SL, first 3 months I used it a lot, and made sure I made quick large payments. I'd pay my utility bills with it, and other large and small purchases. Then once the charges posted to my account, I'd pay it off within few days of that in lump some. After those first several months I cooled off for a few months, but then after that I had another 3-4 month period of heavy use, and quick payoffs. Sometimes I'd purchase up until I only had about 200 remaining on my CL, and then pay if off in once lump payment that same month, and then do the same thing again within the same month. Therefore, I'd have about 1500 - 2000 worth of spend on the card each month even though my CL was only $1000.. I just wanted to show them that I needed a higher CL. Hopefully soon they will increase my CL without me having to request it, but in the meantime having this upgrade is a great unexpected reward. 

Message 5 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on yer Upgrade!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice card for grocery spend for sure! Throw is some nice Amex offers from time to time and it makes for a solid card. 

Yes, normally I use my Amex Gold Card for grocery shopping 4x points, but I will be using the BCP now.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Congrats on the BCP upgrade and the SUB as well.

Thanks.   I was in the Garden after having adding 9 new cards to my wallet over the past 12 months, and I wasn't going to apply for anything new for least another 6 -12 months, so this was very nice unexpected offer to get from them. A way to come out of the Garden without actually trying.... LOL

Message 8 of 13
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

I didn't think they did PCs on the CM. I got one a while back, but then picked up the PenFed PCR at 2%, and the CM went into the safe.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, normally I use my Amex Gold Card for grocery shopping 4x points, but I will be using the BCP now.

It depends on the eco system you value more. While I enjoy cash back, MR points have quite the usefulness when you can apply them to travel. I usually max out the BCP and then move onto the Gold.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.