Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Cash Magnet denied bonus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Cash Magnet denied bonus

There are many cards with a 150 bonus on just 500 spend and many of those are better than a straight 1.5 card.

I would just keep it open for two years then close it if you still don’t want it to try and rehab the “sub” relationship with American Express.
Message 21 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Emyshor- Did they offer the SUB when you app'd for the card? For a SUB I always do a print screen or print the page to a PDF file in case of any problems. I would think if they offered the SUB they don't have the right to deny it after you did the spend.

The revised terms and conditions allow them to withold it, even if you didn't get the "No SUB for you, you bonus chaser!" popup. 

We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

So it is up to them!

Message 22 of 42
Emy

@DaveInAZ: The offer said $150 after spent $1000 and I didn't get any popups. I have the printscreen but is useless.

Like longtimelurker said they put this text at the bottom:

We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

I didn't even paid attention to this, until you asked me about a printscreen (I keep all the offers until get the SUB) and after I've looked saw this text at the bottom. But again, was no popup when I've applied.

Message 23 of 42
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Emy wrote:

@DaveInAZ: The offer said $150 after spent $1000 and I didn't get any popups. I have the printscreen but is useless.

Like longtimelurker said they put this text at the bottom:

I didn't even paid attention to this, until you asked me about a printscreen (I keep all the offers until get the SUB) and after I've looked saw this text at the bottom. But again, was no popup when I've applied.

Popup or not, I think closing the account would just further cement your status on their "list" right now. Even if you seldom use it I would just keep it open for a year.

Message 24 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up on the naughty list for a card that I canceled before they even shipped it. No SUB pop up for me on BCE app. 

Amex and Chase - don’t game them for bonuses. 

I am actually barred from getting an Amex period for some undetermined amount of time, don’t end up like me. 

Message 25 of 42
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Emyshor- Did they offer the SUB when you app'd for the card? For a SUB I always do a print screen or print the page to a PDF file in case of any problems. I would think if they offered the SUB they don't have the right to deny it after you did the spend.

The revised terms and conditions allow them to withold it, even if you didn't get the "No SUB for you, you bonus chaser!" popup. 

So it is up to them!

Well, at the risk of beating a dead horse, Amex has one of the most accurate pre-qual offers in the business, they don't even HP for a card after your first, they already know all the need to know about you, including "the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors" when they offer the card and SUB to you. In my opinion changing the offer after you've accepted it borders on bait & switch, and will definitely be a consideration for me in app'ing for any more Amex cards, even though I've never closed a card and have only opened two a year apart. And I have continual offers to upgrade my BCE to BCP and also offers for other cards, all with SUB offers. Now I'll think long and hard before accepting any offers.

Message 26 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have closed a bunch of cards with Amex and still get bonuses from them.  Here is what you need to do.  Do not ever cancel a card before the first year annual fee posts.  Once it posts you have 30 days to cancel.  Also put a recurring charge on all your cards you have with them.  Keep the ones without fees open. 

Message 27 of 42
Flex1
Regular Contributor

@Emyshor wrote:

Thanks for let it me know. It's no big deal for me, it's their loss. I still have a Blue cash card opened in 2006 and I'll keep it, but I'll not use it anymore. The same with the Magnet, maybe keep it and not use it, or just close it since it's a new card.

I have so many other good cards that I can use and with my credit score over 800 on all 3, I can apply for other cards. 

Maybe they should implement something like Chase 5/24 and you'll know from the begining and not apply for their cards.

I love to see when others are in a good position, such as yourself. Too many card holders are held hostage in this same scenario, because they do have a large balance on the card, their score has been taxed by limit reductions, thus affecting utilization negatively. Glad you have other options. That's how it should always be...

Message 28 of 42
Flex1
Regular Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
@emshor wrote:
If they don't give me the bonus I'll close the card (has 20K limit) since the balance now is $0.
—————
So you’re actually proving them correct. You get the bonus and shut them down. They want people who want to use their cards regardless of bonus. And believe me, your closing their CCs is no loss to them.

But you’re right.You have to do what’s best for you.

I agree with this last statement, "you have to do what's best for you". Too much advice here is worried about what Amex thinks. Who cares what Amex thinks? Clearly not you, as you have many other options. These cards are tools to benefit us. Not a relationship we hopelessly fall in love with and have a hard time walking away, even when we're no longer interested. 

Message 29 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

AMEX won't budge on this. Simple as that. They are coming down hard on SUB chasers and your credit behavior with them has you flagged now.

This is the part I dont fully understand,  how they determine who is considered a SUB chaser. I only have 4 cards that came with a SUB, none have been closed. 2 MR, 1 Miles, 1 CB. Yet when I applied for the Ascend, i was denied(pop up) the SUB. 

I don't consider myself in this category when compared to others who have bragged about all the SUBs they have aquired, then rinse and repeated. I will close the Miles card after 12 months as it doesn't fit my needs the way I thought, possibly the CB card too. And just go full MR.

In hindsight, I should have stategized this better and just stayed with 2 MRs. But Amex was all new to me at that time.

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.