Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Centurion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Centurion

I showed it to my 14 year old along with the limited edition mazarati someone bought with one.  Of course he wants one now (the card)!!  Yeah Riiiiiight!!!!
Message 11 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I showed it to my 14 year old along with the limited edition mazarati someone bought with one. Of course he wants one now (the card)!! Yeah Riiiiiight!!!!

Well, I do have to sympathize with DS. Trying to make an impact as a high school freshman can be pretty tough, and a Maserati's gotta help! Even the 10th-graders are going to give you a second look.

I still remember traveling with my parents in Europe 30-something years ago, and seeing a Maserati Ghibli parked on the Corniche in Monte Carlo. I sprinted over to drool over it, and there in the back seat was a package of Huggies. I don't know if there has ever been a more disappointed 20-year-old.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-09-2007 05:51 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always really, really wonder what kind of lifestyle goes along w/ these kinds of cards- do you guys think that these are the kinds of cards that self made millionaires use and the like?
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know many people who use the Centurion card. I even know one 16yr old who is an AU under his fathers corporation who uses one for his own online business (yes, he's young). As for if many self made millionaires/billionaires use this card - sure. I'd go as far as to say most of them are self-made. The card has many benefits outside of just being flashy. You get access to an excellent concierge service and various other benefits at certain hotels. It's also a very big status symbol in the business world. By that I mean its not just to show off you spend $250,000 per year or more to an underpaid cocktail waitresses, or to spark envy in your coworkers, it's an actual tool used in the business world to show off your buying power and authority. 

I think we will only continue to see many more cards like these in the future from various other carriers and banks as more and more wealthy businessmen begin to sprawl up during these tough economic times and periods of bloom following them.

Message Edited by Fr0zen on 11-08-2008 05:20 PM
Message 14 of 16
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

I used to work in a very upscale department store and had lots of customers that carried this card.  They were as cheap and tacky as everybody else lol.  The flash and glamour wore off in about thirty seconds.  From my observation, the people who had this card (or their husbands) were business people and were able to write the expense off in some way.  If you are in charging that much, I'm sure you have write-offs galore and 2.5k can easily be absorbed.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 15 of 16
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I showed it to my 14 year old along with the limited edition Maserati someone bought with one.  Of course he wants one now (the card)!!  Yeah Riiiiiight!!!!

My mother used to teach English at a State University.  One day a student who was a part-time car salesman told of selling a very fancy car to a customer who paid entirely in cash (not "cash" as in paid with a personal check, "cash" as in a suitcase filled with US Currency like you see in movies about mobsters).  Maybe three weeks later that customer's mug shot was on the front page of the local paper.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.