Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Card Balance

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Charge Card Balance

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
You got a cld for carrying a balance on BCE?!?
What was the util on it?

using about 33% of the UTL on the card, always made more than the minimum payment was charging on the card as well so wasn't really going down, had cash flow issues, that are now resolved. overal utilization on all cards was about 27% but mostly on 6 cards or so and DW's card was near Maxed out but i'm only a AU on it for bill paying purposes.  Got a chase slate card about the same time for BT off the amex card which is now complete. And two other INQ's for other cards about the same time. 

Current UTL is at 24% and heading down, In the garden since Dec 4th, when all this was going on, starting to get nice CLI's from GE's and will get this mess under controll, I figure in 3-4 months I will be down below 15%, and no INQ's for 6+ months I will get my CLI and my AMEX blue will be at 6+ k again, and my scores will be north of 700, since 5 baddies have fallen off my reports, one early and I will only have one baddie a 6 year old medical collection. No lates on any credit card in the last 7 years... Only had credit again for 4 years.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 11 of 23
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

so whats the consenus? I am going to apply for a CSP next month and I have an amex reporting on the 19th with about $1k. Should I pay it before it closes so I when I app it shows a $0 balance or should I let them see my monthly spending? Its my only card I spend on. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 12 of 23
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

bump

Message 13 of 23
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I've let a balance report on Amex that was more than all my CLs combined. It had zero effect on my FICO score, my VantageScore went up a bit, and some FAKOs went down while others were unchanged.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 14 of 23
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

but what about when applying to more credit? would they see that as bad?

Message 15 of 23
nagisa
New Contributor

I always let my PRG report, but Citi denied me because of a reported balance on my charge card once... it wasn't even that big.... like $1k *eyeroll*. I tried explaining to the CSR that it was a charge card and I'd paid it off already, but they still thought it was a revolved balance and did another HP to confirm I paid it off.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 16 of 23
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

but what about when applying to more credit? would they see that as bad?

No, with the possible exception of apping while the high balance is the same as the current balance. Once the current balance drops to normal levels it's all good. Also a strong indicator you can handle larger balances.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 17 of 23
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

maybe ill pay half of it. My amex balance is pretty much the same every month give or a take a few dollars

Message 18 of 23
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

maybe ill pay half of it. My amex balance is pretty much the same every month give or a take a few dollars

Check your high balance. That's the key factor they will compare to the current balance on a manual review. My high balance is way over my usual Amex usage. It's one of the things I value about Amex. A great ability to do the occasional high spend on vacations or whatnot.

Message 19 of 23
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

@E150GT wrote:

Check your high balance. That's the key factor they will compare to the current balance on a manual review. My high balance is way over my usual Amex usage. It's one of the things I value about Amex. A great ability to do the occasional high spend on vacations or whatnot.

Experian is showing the statement balance as a high balance...

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.